how many for genetic divercity

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jay_S

I can do it ... hold my beer.
Dec 22, 2014
queens
Real Name
Real Name
Question: " How large a colony for guppies , mollies and shrimp would be needed to create a sustainable breeding colony with out producing cleetus fish?"

Background: I am Interested in creating a 5 trophic level modular enviroment and to have it be as naturaland self-staining as possible.

I.E. as large a volume of water (in the system) as possible. culturing infusoria, live plants, etc. etc. etc. and having it continue on.

So as always and direction to be pointed in would be appreciated. I'm scouring the web for this info.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Dennis, very cool read. Thing is, wouldn't the OP's plan, regarding live-bearers be a different ball game? They'll breed in a pail of water given the chance.

Jay, to my beginner mind, your plan sounds interesting for sure, but I'd think you'd have to do massive amounts of culling to keep populations at reasonable levels.

Jay_S

Dec 22, 2014
queens
Real Name
Real Name
Here's a great guide ..... http://www.nanfa.org/captivecare/captive_breeding_guidelines.pdf

See section 2: BREEDING FOR GENETIC DIVERSITY

Dennis
Thank you so much I am reading it now :)

Dennis, very cool read. Thing is, wouldn't the OP's plan, regarding live-bearers be a different ball game? They'll breed in a pail of water given the chance.

Jay, to my beginner mind, your plan sounds interesting for sure, but I'd think you'd have to do massive amounts of culling to keep populations at reasonable levels.

Yeah the cull is not the problem numbers wise there is a great guy at my lfs who is super knowledgeable and is willing to take the fry so long as they are going to be viable for resale either as pet or feeder for the fish fry at least. The excess number of shrimp would be distrubuted amonst the tanks as clean up. So givin that all fish love to eat young shrimp. If not then I will use them for food for triops. I plan on a stable colony of triops being my system check / clean up crew. From what I have read on the net triops eat any and every thing and when they die (they are extreemly short lived) I can grind them up and use them for shrimp food/ fry food as they contain both calcium carbonate and protien. I'm also looking into culturing spirlina.

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Neat idea with the triops. I'm not sure how'd they do in a tank full of lively live-bearers and other inverts, but it would be cool to try. I know years ago someone bought one of my kids one of those kits that came with triops eggs, a little plastic tank, food, etc.. One of them lived for months and got quite big. It's shell was quarter sized.

Jay_S

Dec 22, 2014
queens
Real Name
Real Name
From what I have read up on the triops they require thier own almost if not distilled water to hatch then as they grow you can transition them to a more aquarium level of water. Supposedly they require super low osmotic pressure and will not hatch if the water is already inhabited reguardless of cleanliness amonia etc. Tap water is supposed to be "wrong" even declorinated.

So I am thinking that a ten gallon tank for them would be phase two in the water chain for this set up. Phase one would be declorination / distillation. here in new york there are no cloramines in the watter so the majority of the water for the system could be gassed for my purposes.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I know all we used was tap water when my kids had the triop kit, unless the magic packet of "eggs" had some super special turn tap water into special water.

Jay_S

Dec 22, 2014
queens
Real Name
Real Name
cool so tap water worked for you? is your tap the same as the tap in my area of new york? cuz not having to adjust or buy water would be much easier (one less step to screw up in this chain)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
My municipal tap water is always a pH of 7.6 and GH and KH of ~120. Zero nitrates.

Jay_S

Dec 22, 2014
queens
Real Name
Real Name
Same here. So the triops hatched huh? good to know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store