Converting non-planted to planted?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EchoMN

AC Members
Jan 6, 2015
Has anyone tried to start a planted tank in an already established non-planted tank? I was talking to a co-worker, and she told me planted in the little 2 and 4 inch plastic pots and then buried in gravel. She used organic potting soil, but I would most likely use aquatic potting soil. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this? Might be an easy way to get a somewhat planted tank in one that wasn't originally made for it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've gone that route- Placing potted aquatic plants in tanks that didn't currently contain any live plants. There's no problem in doing this at all, provided the tank has adequate plant lighting and enough CO2 and nutrients (provided by fish or otherwise).

Keep in mind, many plants don't require pots, dirt or any substrate for that matter. All of your rhizome plants for instance or Java fern, water sprite or wisteria.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
Plants are a lot of fun. There is plenty of trial and error. Go spend $15 on plants and stick them in and see what happens. Some will take off and others will die. As you gain experience you will figure out what plants you like and what aspects of keeping plants you find most interesting. Unlike fish, you can't put too many plants into a tank. They clean the water and digest pollution. As long as there is room for fish to swim you can always add more plants.

Good luck and have fun.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
What's your current set up like? I'd suggest starting out with "low light" plants, which aren't too needy...things like Anubias, crypts, java fern, etc. like FreshyFresh mentioned.

You really don't need to switch substrates around. My first tank started non-planted (with gravel) and I decided to go to live plants without changing anything at first. Over time I eventually went more high tech with lighting, ferts, etc. but I would start slow and see how things go first.

EchoMN

AC Members
Jan 6, 2015
The setup(s) I plan on doing this in are three different tanks. I already have one planted tank and I love the look of it. I have two 13 gallon LED View tanks with stock LED lights, for those two I plan to use low to moderate light plants. For my 40 gallon, I have a Current USA Satellite Plus, so there will be lots of variety in there. I should mention the reason I plan to use some potting soil is for the nutrients in it, so I can have a little less error.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Sorry, forgot that you already have a planted tank...hope that didn't come off as condescending.

I've used potting soil in a few different tanks. Keep in mind it's not the most efficient way to get nutrients to your plants as you generally are working with low nutrient/slow release type soils. You'll get some additional nutrients as the organics "break down," but it's not as reliable as target dosing. However, it is a cheap way to get some higher CEC material that's also soft on roots.

I should also mention that It's easy to start off with but can become a hassle when moving or breaking down a tank. I definitely wouldn't try to add it to an existing tank as is...it needs to be emptied, capped, and refilled.

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
If you use Java Fern and Anubias they don't have to be planeted and will almost certainly live with whatever light you already have.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
You didn't say what kind of substrate(s) you're using, and I guess substrate is important to growing plants. The pots will work, I think. Some people grow nice tanks with gravel because they must fertilize. It's important for plants' to have a substrate that their roots can penetrate easily. Small gravel would work better than regular-sized and a friend who has a lot of tanks I think likes sand. I had monstrous big gravel in my planted tank for most of it's life, only fertilized with Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, relying on the fish food input for the rest of the ferts, and I had problems. I converted to Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix and things definitely got much better. That's why I think the pots will work (I've seen pics too). So, if you have gravel, you can keep it as long as you fertilize properly, but imo you may be handicapping yourself.

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
I actually did this... my starter tank was a 3gal nano. Bare as a bone, generic gravel. I thought hey I'd like to grow real plants for my 4 neons & ghost shrimp because they'll like it! Started with a small java fern. The java fern flourished under the stock LED light, so I moved on to java moss, then a marimo ball. Everything low tech not only because I'm a novice, but also to not shock the animals! I added everything slowly & they totally appreciated it!

Then, I upgraded them to a 20gal long. Stuck to the low tech thing, but added Seachem's Flourish under my large gravel. Along with an easy fert & some actual plant lighting. Needless to say I wouldn't go back! I love the live plant addition to my aquarium hobby!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store