Cover filter intake?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
I'm adding some cherry shrimp to my 10 gallon tank. Currently I have an Aqueon QuietFlow 10 that has a blue sponge on the intake, but it's big for it and lose plants always find a way to clog up the intake. That's not really a problem for me, but I'm worried that the shrimp will get sucked in. I've heard pantyhose is a good material to cover it with. If there are any recommendations that would be awesome. PICTURES WOULD BE GREAT! Thank you!

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Get a Fluval Edge round black fine mesh pre-filter to place over your filter intake tube.
Usually available @ PetSmart Stores for around $2.
Does a great job, but needs to be rinsed frequently because it picks up a lot of fine free-floating particles and can clog up easily. It'll protect your shrimps from getting sucked up into the filter. I rinse mine every 2nd or 3rd day.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I use a piece of Aquaclear sponge over the intake on the AC30 on my 10g that's loaded with red cherry shrimp. Some shrimp still manage to get into the HOB though. I just dump them back into the tank from time to time when I yank the media basket out for cleaning.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I use Aquaclear sponge filters cut to size and I kinda cut out/dig out the center to put over the filter intake. I would think pantyhose would clog really fast.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
AC sponges work fine but are a bit of a hassle to cut to size and they are ugly.
On smaller filters Fluval Edge is cheap, convenient, looks better and lasts a long time.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I am using a small piece of panty hose material to cut the filter intake in my betta tank. It works well but like the sponge, needs frequent rinsing in chlorine free water.

D4213

AC Members
May 13, 2013
In my experience, panty hose are too restrictive and almost completely clog the filter after a day or 2 at the most. I've only ever tried this on the Aqueons. I'd suggest the mesh pre-filters like others have suggested.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store