Decided to try something new....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EchoMN

AC Members
Jan 6, 2015
So I've been thinking lately that I want my 40 gallon to have a little more "personality". I'm starting to get some cichlids, and I want caves for them. I got a bunch of granite from a local landscaping store (got around 70 pounds for $20) and I've been cleaning and slowly boiling them to make caves (could be a fun hobby to make and sell them).

But I still wanted something different, and when I was looking at decorations the other day, I saw this on Amazon.

It's a magnetic cave for terrariums! I thought this would be great to use in an aquarium, but I couldn't find a good answer to be absolutely sure if it was safe for aquarium use.

So after a little brainstorming (and a lot of research today) I came up with something today. (If someone else has already done this and claimed it as their own idea, that's great, but I swear I came up with this on my own).

I went to Home Depot and bought ceramic magnets, the super strong magnets (neodymium), crazy glue and then went to petco and bought a plastic lightweight decoration. The ceramic magnets were glued to the flat surfaces of the decoration, and the super magnets hold them onto the aquarium wall outside (negating the need to seal the metal magnets).

The final result?

I then took another decoration I already had and tried it with that one.

I'm not sure if I'm loving how the side one looks because of the obvious magnets, but I love that the decoration will let me see inside at anyone hanging out in there.

Edit: 5 minutes after I posted this, the side cave was claimed!

So far, everything I've used is aquarium safe, and I can't wait to start making my new caves tomorrow! (With that said, I have to go take some rocks off the stove and add more)

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's a neat idea to utilize space in the aquarium. You could even do sort of a 3D background that way.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I too like the idea. Have never seen that idea for tank deco, but have seen tank-thermometers use that idea.

EchoMN

AC Members
Jan 6, 2015
Update: the crazy glue didn't hold well enough on either surface since they were both smooth. I got some silicone and repeated the process. Works even better than the first ones!

Also, my kribensis pair was spawning in one of them, so I definitely plan to add more. It does make it a little more difficult to find good decorations when you have to take into account that they'll be sideways.

Either way, I highly recommend this to anyone, it's so much fun and makes the tank more interesting!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store