I think my damsel is mad at me.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

airbrnebkr

AC Members
Apr 19, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Visit site
I am about a week into cycling my tank, and I have 3 yellow tail damsels in there. They all seem fine and are eating well, but one of them does not seem as brightly colored as he was before. The other two look the same as when I first put them in there. He does not look sick, but I think he may be mad at me. Anyone have any ideas as to why the color change? Is this just a damsel trait?

Thank You,
Doug

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
He's most likely feeling the effects of the cycle. What is your ammonia testing at? Also, it's highly likely that this is the bottom of the heirarchy fish, and is being beaten up by the other fish. I'd probably take them back to the store, cycle fishlessly, and not have to deal with nasty tempered, hard to catch, will beat up everything fish down the road.

airbrnebkr

AC Members
Apr 19, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Visit site
As of 4/18 my levels were as follows: Ammonia was at 1.0, Nitrates and nitrites 0, ph was 8.2.
Today my salinity was 1.023 and the temp was 77 degrees.
I have not seen the fish giving each other trouble (doesnt mean it isnt happening) and their fins and tails look very good (no bites or nips out of them). They seem to be very well mannered so far. It seemed like he started acting this way when I cleaned the exterior of the tank the other day and he has been very jumpy ever since. I thought maybe I just scared him or ticked him off.
Thanks,
Doug

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
my yellow tail damsel would fade in color when i cycled my tank with him. he lived perfectly fine though. except for digging a hole in my sand bed :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store