Can anyone tell if these are male or female Dwarf Gouramis or a mix?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lynniecat

AC Members
Oct 16, 2013
I have looked up how to tell male from female on line, but I still can't tell. When I first got these two, they seemed to fight a bit (chase and perhaps nip at each other) and their fins got a bit ragged looking (tail and ventral fins)...though I was was not 100 percent sure the fins were not that way to start out. However, they do not seem to fight at all anymore. They do swim together as a pair and seem fairly content in the tank.

Also I believe these are Red Flame Dwarf Gouramis from researching on the web - they were just labeled "Dwarf Gouramis" where I purchased them. I told the LFS that I wanted a peaceful community fish. Later I read males of this type of fish can have serious fighting issues.

Thanks for any information!

Lynn

Gouramis.JPG

Gouramis.JPG

lynniecat

AC Members
Oct 16, 2013
I am confused though because I can tell the two apart by their dorsal fins. The one on the left has a fin that comes to more of a point, the one on the right has one that is more rounded. It sounds like the description of male vs female, but I can not find a picture of a female for this type of gourami. They definitely get along really well, so its odd their both males. they swim side by side peacefully all over the tank ... it borders on cute .. if you can say that fish are cute.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
They are deffinately 2 males. Be careful, they may get along now, but male Gouramis do not like other males.

lynniecat

AC Members
Oct 16, 2013
Tanker - do you know why females are never sold in the LFS? I wonder if they are just still young and thus getting along for now. I will watch them but not sure what to do if they fight except get a second tank. I would have thought they would each take half the tank vs swimming side by side. They don't fight when its feeding time either. Yet....

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Tanker - do you know why females are never sold in the LFS? I wonder if they are just still young and thus getting along for now. I will watch them but not sure what to do if they fight except get a second tank. I would have thought they would each take half the tank vs swimming side by side. They don't fight when its feeding time either. Yet....
They look drab to most people. Actually, there have been cases of females sold after pumped up with hormones so they look more like males. I'm not sure if that's still a common practice though.

lynniecat

AC Members
Oct 16, 2013
Ah...yes both these are bright and pretty. Thus, male. No need to look at the fins then. I just read they don't like to be alone - just one gourami in the tank. And the LFS said they were super peaceful and would get along. Honestly, I have no excuse at this point...I know that there is always a variety of knowledge at the fish store,

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
Yep, they are males. They have female DGs at my petco, they are gray with a darker gray stripe across the body.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store