Birchir not growing!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
I have had my Birchir for a year now and it looks to me that he is not growing! He eats great he loves blood worms and shrimp pellets but I have barley seen a inch grow off of him.. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Wow! I got a Senegal bichir last year that was an inch and a half baby. Today he's around 6 inches and eats everything he can get ahold of. I feed shrimp pellets to the other fish, and he gobbles up the ones that get to the bottom. He also eats frozen foods - thawed brine shrimp, bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and krill.

I honestly am stumped. Bichirs grow fast, at least from my experience with them. Is the tank big enough? Mine is in a 46g bow.

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
How big is it? Maybe a stupid question but if it is on the larger size for the fish then it might not grow very fast. If it is eating well and active then I would say more water changes or maybe provide some more cover if it is lacking so it can feel safer and less stressed.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
well i have read that beef heat will make almost any fish beef up.

Andre7

AC Members
Nov 19, 2014
I've also read that meat from warm-blooded land animals is not healthy for fish, though. Their digestive systems are designed to break down other fish and plants, not beef. I don't remember the specific, scientific reason why its not healthy, though... I'd have to look that up.

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Yes I do water changes weekly and he is in a 45 gallon and I feed him 1
Once a day and he eats fine but still no growth I feed him frozen brine aswell and he eats it all but nothing still.. Sounds crazy but is there a such thing as a dwarf Birchir? Also there's cover and light and everything he needs.. He seems happy but no growth.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Pics would help. We need to know what species and what size he is now. How big was he when you got him?

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store