I Need German Blue Ram Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

planted_tank

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
HI All,

So about two months ago I ended up buying three german blue rams. Two of them paired off and laid eggs twice. Well about two weeks ago, after a water change, I noticed that one of the rams looked sick. I had an ick issue a while back and thought that may be the issue. When I got to looking around I noticed that one of the rams was missing; I have no clue to this day what happened to that fish. After keeping an eye in the pale ram for a few days I also noticed that the two that I had left did not stay together. I am thinking it was the mate that got lost. I have read that they may pair up again so I thought about getting another. the thing is I cannot tell if it is a male or female anymore. Any ideas on how to make it happy again?
imagejpeg_1_4.jpgTHE TANK THEY ARE IN
imagejpeg_3_3.jpgHEALTHY RAM
imagejpeg_2_3.jpgSICK RAM
imagejpeg_0_5.jpgSICK RAM

imagejpeg_1_4.jpg imagejpeg_3_3.jpg imagejpeg_2_3.jpg imagejpeg_0_5.jpg

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
?? size tank? water params, maint schedule, temp?

I ask about tank size as it is important when you have 3 rams and a pair forms.. the 3rd ram is kept in the tank??

there can be some aggression issues if this is the case.. fighting will lead to stress which can result in what you are seeing.

planted_tank

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
The tank is a 30 gallon. I am unsure of the water params but every time I test it is 100% perfect. The I do water changes once a week and wipe down the leaves and glass. So far all of the fish are unaggressive which I am so happy about. But I no longer have three rams in the tank though one of them disappeared.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Can we get more specific numbers in regards to water params?

I can't get a good enough look with those pics to make a half decent guess at sex, myself. The "sick" one looks like a female, but the colors are too washed out to be absolutely certain. The pic of the "healthy" one is too blurry/at a weird angle...but I'd hazard to guess female as well.

That being said, I wouldn't necessarily count on them pairing up even if you have one of each. It's never a guarantee.

planted_tank

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
OK the water params are
Ammonia- .5 ( a little high)
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 30
pH- 7
Alkalinity- 80
Hardness- 150

I keep the water at 79.3 degrees and I have a HOB filter that is for a 75gal tank.
I also dose the tank weekly with Leaf Zone
I believe the healthy on is a female and now I might think the sick a female is as well.
I'm really not looking for them pair up. The only reason I had a pair to start of was because they were paired at the store and I got one free because of that.
All I really want is the discolored on to get all of his/her colors back. I feel bad for it every time I see him/her (that's if he/she makes an appearance).

I will try to get a better picture of the two but there is no guarantee that they will work with me and be still for two seconds.

Andrewtfw

AC Members
Nov 13, 2011
Germantown, MD
Real Name
Andrew
In speaking with a guy who has bred rams for lfs for 10+ years, he says to keep them at temps between 82-86. He says they do better with these temps and at lower temps they slowly waste away.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

planted_tank

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
Any tips on how to get the ammonia down? I have tried using ammonia remover filter media but doesn't seem to work.

tropicals

AC Members
Feb 1, 2015
help for rams

Male rams have longer fins than the females. If both of your rams are indistinguishable except for the sick vs healthy colors then you very likely have 2 of the same sex.
I found this link to a great article about rams.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/germanblueram.php

Another fish that is just as pretty is the the Kribensis cichlid. I kept a breeding pair of these fish back in the 80's in a 10 gallon tank. They bred over and over and my children loved to watch the parents herd the baby fish around the tank. You may find they are a little less sensitive to water conditions with the same appeal.

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Water changes...however, make sure you test the source water as it is possible the ammonia is there.

Any tips on how to get the ammonia down? I have tried using ammonia remover filter media but doesn't seem to work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store