What Perciseley Should I Feed Scarlet Gem (Dario Dario)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
Hey everyone, I have recently received 15 Scarlet Gem Badis as per local order via fish store. I am an established and experienced freshwater aquarist, owning a 40 gallon breeder with a sump setup (soon to be refugium/seclusion zone), a 20 long (housing said Badis, two zebra loaches, and a lonesome cory cat), and a small 10 gal (used for guppy breeding). I just got them and I have done LOADS of research on them. I seem to have gotten lucky and received tank-raised SGBs, so they will eat at least frozen bloodworms put through a zester.

I know they prefer live, moving food (being carnivores) such as Daphnia, Cyclopsys, brine Shrimp and various small copepods (living in an apartment at the time being, I would like to refrain from worms). But my main question is, how and where does one acquire such foods, and how would one raise a culture? I have two DIY brine shrimp breederies , but what would be the other setup for the copepods and such.

much thanks to all who reply!:grinyes:

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
Hey, thanks for that, but could I get like a one on one instruction. Not to be a picky brat, but I prefer to not have to rummage through some website, however good the site may be... thanks for responding though!!!:thumbsup:

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
To better phrase that... How would you culture some of the critters suitable for SGBs

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Honestly, I would ask the people at Sachs. Let them know that you're looking for food for Darios and they'll gladly recommend suitable food and answer culturing questions. I emailed back and forth with them when I was going to go with fish with small mouths and had some questions (I ended up not going through with it though).

The smaller worms are really easy too...can be done in a tupperware.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store