Belly crawler pike (photos)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bottomfeeder2

Lancelet
Aug 31, 2008
Hello AC. I havent been here in a while, and I figured I'd post some pictures of my favorite fish.

I've had this female belly crawler pike cichlid since she was about two and a half, three inches, and she's more than doubled that size now. I used to have her in a thirty gallon with other fish, but she had a problem with killing her tankmates and shredding plants, so she's got a twenty long to herself now (and the thirty gallon doesnt have fish in it anymore). I always love watching her navigate her tank and peep out of her PVC hide... her movements are very serpentine and she peers out of the PVC like a moray eel. She's also a piggish feeder. I give her frozen food, live earthworms, and crickets.

Sorry for the lack of in-tank shots, her tank is very dimly lit. These are water change shots.:p: the bucket she's in is about nine or ten inches in diameter.

IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0132.JPG IMG_0133.JPG IMG_0134.JPG IMG_0135.JPG IMG_0136.JPG

Last edited:

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Nice! What's the scientific name? You really need to get some pictures in the tank. Sounds like a really interesting fish to have.

Bottomfeeder2

Lancelet
Aug 31, 2008
I dont believe they have a scientific name. They have yet to be scientifically described and are known almost entirely from the aquarium trade.
I will try and get some pictures of the enclosure. No guarantee she'll be in the pictures though, she's usually hiding out in her PVC hide.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
nice fish!

Bottomfeeder2

Lancelet
Aug 31, 2008
Thanks guys!
I took this video of her eating a few weeks ago. It's probably a bit too long, but it's quite difficult to film her... she's quite secretive, and this was at night.

Lady JinglyJones

AC Members
Sep 30, 2015
Coast of Coromandel
Real Name
Emily
Camera Used
Ma Galaxy S4.
That is a sweet fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com