New Betta with Ick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishgirl66

Registered Member
Jan 30, 2015
Hello. I have a 1.5 gal Tetra betta aquarium and new betta got ick. Only been in tank 24 hrs. Had 2 others previously that died--one had ick, other didn't. I sanitized tank in scorching hot water for 2 hrs. and cooled everything down before putting in new guy. His nose is pointed down into a micro sword narrow leaf plant. If I move the plant he comes out and swims, but goes right back and hides in plant. Don't have heater. Temp is 68F (room temp of my house). Just put in super ick cure. Does anyone have any recommendations? Should I buy heater? Getting lots of conflicting info and pet store doesn't know what else to suggest. My daughter is so upset her fish keep dying. Thanks!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal

tropicals

AC Members
Feb 1, 2015
Get a 5 gallon tank for your next betta and a heater. You don't need fancy just enough room and bettas need warm water 78-80F.
They live wild in stagnant water like rice paddies. Think southeast asia. They are born with gills but then switch over to lung like organs. Gouramis are the same type of fish with labyrinth organs.

You could get a 15 gallon tank and put a glass divider to make 2 sections of one tank. Then you could get a male and a female. Give the female about 5 gallons on her own.
She will be placed into the males larger section when she ripens for breeding. Take her out when breeding is over. As the male raises the babies so he needs the larger part of the tank. A long shallow tank is better for bettas as they swim in the top layer of the water as evidenced by their upturned mouths. One betta in each side of tank will require one airstone to turn over the water gently. they Do not like strong currents.They are slow moving, inqusitive fish that will investigate every inch of their tanks. You may need 2 dividers; an opaque divider and a transparent divider. Keep the opaque divider in place when you are not conditioning the bettas to breed. When they are not breeding don't let them see each other , they need time to recharge their systems ( just any other living thing ).

I have kept, bred and sold fish over 30 years. Good Luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store