New Vivarium build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Botanicated

Registered Member
Jan 30, 2015
Hello all,

I am new to the board so still reading through all the great posts on here. I am currently setting up a vivarium with a water feature and doing the background against the back wall and the right side wall. I was wanting to put black silicone all over the back wall and right side wall so the back of the expanding foam is not visible. I would like to keep the appearance as nice as possible. My question is: Can I put black silicone all the way to the bottom of the back and side wall, even the areas that will be submerged in water? I have not seen many people silicone the entire backing walls, and the ones I have seen, I can not tell if they submerged it or not.

I will be blogging and vlogging my build so there will be more to follow.

Eager to meet everyone here soon!!

Andre7

AC Members
Nov 19, 2014
Couldn't you paint it with black Krylon spray paint? Its safe for fish and quite a bit cheaper, I imagine.

Botanicated

Registered Member
Jan 30, 2015
You know, as I was applying it I thought the same thing. At least to the outside of the tank. Oh well, I already started the application process so may as well finish this way.

Botanicated

Registered Member
Jan 30, 2015
I am dab smack in the middle of doing the background for this build. I applied Silicone to the back, and left side of the tank and then some around everything to keep in place before using the expanding foam. So as the fresh expanding foam cures, I am now thinking about my my background. I will be doing a waterfall, so I will want to add some kind of grout, or cement mix to that area to simulate rock.I was curious if anyone had any methods they use for some water proof fake rock builds?

Also for the areas I will be doing in a peat moss, coco fiber mix, I was wanting to possibly add in something that will grow green moss. I have heard of puree with sugar and beer, but what would it be safe to mix into the coco fiber peat moss mix?

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I have yet to try a moss mixture to jumpstart the growth... I just let the moss do its thing; it takes alot longer but in the end it works out the same. I would do your background first, let it set, and then paint your moss spore/milf/beer/whatever mixture of choice OVER the background.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
there are a lot of construction posts here that describe how to use mortar to create a rocky-looking surface over the foam

not exactly on point, but be sure to check all of the corners and edges of the box to be sure that the residents can't peel it back and escape; tack down with black 100% silicone if necessary.

Andre7

AC Members
Nov 19, 2014
It's a bit hard to fit the MILFs in the blender, so I recommend substituting for milk.
Never done it myself, but I've read to blend it all together and use a paintbrush to spread it on the desired surfaces. There are many guides on forums or youtube explaining the process. Pretty sure this is only for DSM though - keep it humid and the moss should grow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store