Angelfish in 36 gallon -- too small?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
Well now that the disaster that was my tank seems to be under control I visited the LFS to see what's new. I'm going to wait a few days, then start restocking.

A pair of angelfish in a 36 ... too small? I had 2 in a 29 a long time ago, and they seemed cramped. I love them but I'm not sure if this tank would be good for them. Tankmates? Maybe harlequins?

Or perhaps 12 mixed color tiger barbs (regular, green, albino) and an opaline gourami? Who else might be able to live with tiger barbs? They had rubber lipped plecos which were cool.

Or a few fancy goldfish, I've never had those before ...

There wasn't much else that seemed interesting except the cichlids, but won't be redoing my aquascape for that. The LFS doesn't carry rams ... she told me they always die within a day of stocking them. They also have no rainbowfish, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
2 in a 36 should be fine but it may depend on the dimensions of the tank..Taller tanks are fine ..btw 29's work ok for a pair as well

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
This tank is 21 1/2" tall, but has a carpet of java fern which is up to 10" tall. So angels are probably a no-go?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I wouldn't mix goldfish with tropical. A pair of angels will do ok in a 36. In stead of a rubber lip plec I'd do 6 panda cories and I'd go with 8 or 9 rasboras to finish it off. I wouldn't stock it any heavier than that. Also, You should quarantine each new species for thirty days before putting them in the show tank. Always stock slowly and lightly if you can...

Mark

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'd say a group of corys + the rubberlip wouldn't necessarily be overdoing it...depending on the exact species in question. Sometimes Chaetostoma cf. thomasi are marketed as "rubber" or "rubberlip/nose" plecos (not sure if the latin name has been updated...but oftentimes called a "bulldog" pleco as well). They only max out in the 4-5" range.

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
Well after some thought I've decided on 4 tigers, 4 green tigers, 4 rosy barbs, the blue gourami and the rubberlip pleco. I have a small driftwood for the pleco but I'll be on the lookout for some more. Good luck to me :)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Certainly a 180deg change from the pair of angles, but sounds great none the less!

IMO, a 29g or even better, the taller 37g OR your 36g is perfect for a pair of angles. Your current list will be a lot more lively though.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
No. I would not recommend any type of gourami to live with tiger barbs. I have a blue gourami with some serpae tetras and Big Blue(female gourami) is about 4 inches.but the serpae tetras are not as mean as tiger barbs.if you DO put them together then you will see that the barbs will nip the gouramis feelers.

tropicals

AC Members
Feb 1, 2015
The rasboras would look great. My 55gallon has mixed tetras and one angle with a slew of mixed corys.

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
Personally I would have some reservations with the gourami and the the tiger barbs. I would be considered with nipping with chasing but it would be an awesome thing to try out!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store