Nerite Snail Safe Fish that Eat Pond Snails LOL

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Any such things guys? I've got nerites, cherry shrimp & dwarf CPO crays in there as well as my friendly community fish. I don't have a full blown explosion yet, have also removed some, crushed & fed to my happy tank inhabitants...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
From what I've experienced, any carnivorous or even some omnivorous fish will pick at larger snails, eventually killing/eating them. Gourami and betta to name a few.

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Exactly. Shrimp isn't on the menu in our tank... neither are the dwarf crays! Been trying to not overfeed, took a lot out, froze them & crushed. The feeding frenzy for the guppies, crays & shrimp was crazy!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I deliberately added pond/bladder snails and ramshorns to the 25g community tank. I was expecting a population increase based on what I've heard/read. Never happened. Added several khuli loaches, and the snail population started to noticeably decline. Apparently khulis like snails.

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
@Kannan Fodder, ironically, I bought some of them on sale. I don't mind the pond snails persay just want something to make sure the population is going to be kept in check, plus snacks for the tank aren't bad lol! We got 3 & call them the 3 storms... now who knows what 80's movie that's from? :)

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
LOL! I have 6 and they drive the cats nuts. All the movement get's the kitties' attention, but they are blocked by the glass. We call the aquariums HDFV - high definition fish vision.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
@Kannan Fodder, ironically, I bought some of them on sale. I don't mind the pond snails persay just want something to make sure the population is going to be kept in check, plus snacks for the tank aren't bad lol! We got 3 & call them the 3 storms... now who knows what 80's movie that's from? :)
If you only want to keep them "in check", add a few (2-3) assassin snails into the pond. They only eat small (baby) snail and are too small to tackle a Nerite for food.

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
I've lowered the population on them, stopped over feedings... & found out guppies love crush snails. Yeeeeeeeesh lol

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
If you only want to keep them "in check", add a few (2-3) assassin snails into the pond. They only eat small (baby) snail and are too small to tackle a Nerite for food.
This isn't true, assassins will actively pack hunt in order to take down larger prey.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store