Pearl Gouramis - 2 or 3

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jenricae

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC Canada
I have a 45g heavily planted community tank with one male and one female young Pearl gouramis. They seem to get along fine most of the time but occasionally the male "attacks" the female. It's more of a show of aggression with no damage. More bark than bite. I was wondering if I should be getting a third female - would that be the best to avoid future problems?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I would think the only chance at reducing aggression would be to add another female. Two females and one male. FWIW, I've only done one larger gourami at a time in a tank, although I had a male dwarf flame gourami in with my female pearl for some time.

jenricae

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC Canada
I picked up a second female today. There was a lot of aggression towards both females by the male, but that was around feeding time. Outside of that, there seems to be a peace and i've even spotted the 3 of them hanging out on occasion. We'll see how it goes...

benzjamin13

AC Members
Jul 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I used to have a group of 7 Pearl Gouramis in a 75g. They actaully became my favorite fish. Never really had an aggression problem. I had 2 males and 5 females.

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
In my 40b I keep 2 snakeskins, 2 pearls, and 2 ornate gouramis all together with a 2 large catfish, a rainbow shark and 2 rainbows. It seemed risky at first, but there has only been aggression shown from my rainbow shark.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store