New to cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
Now, I probably won't be getting to this idea until the fall, IF then even. But I don't think it's ever too early to start asking questions!

My biggest question is: What is a good place to start? I've only kept 10-gallon tanks before as that's the limit for my dorm room. What I'd really like is some N. brichardi in a 30G, but if it would be easier a couple rams or shell-dwellers would be cool too (maybe in a smaller tank if possible?)

I'm a big fan of live plants, but if I read correctly most of them would be dug up pretty quick.

So essentially, the whole shebang; what should I expect to be looking at for filtration, temperature, pH (and how do I keep the pH consistently up? I'm still clueless on that), rocks, substrate, live/fake plants and any other possible fish that could go with them. I have done a little bit of reading on all of this stuff, but I just like to get a second opinion just to be sure! Thank you!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
You could get away with a pair of N. Brichardi in a 30 long. If you wind up with a colony then that's pretty much all you can keep in it. The parents and subsequent juvies and fry will take the whole space as territory and make life miserable or worse for any tank mates.

You can keep live plants with them...I have several times. They like caves and lots of hiding places.

PH isn't gonna be that big of a deal as long as it's stable.

Mark

Last edited:

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
If someone should happen across this thread again, I'm very curious about the rockwork that needs to go into a cichlid tank. Is there any specific rocks that are best, or can I just use some big stones from the stream in my backyard? Also, how much rock is enough, and how much is too much. I don't want to crack a tank in the process of decorating. I've read that both gravel and sand are fine, I imagine I'll go for a darker, bigger substrate as I'm not a big fan of sand.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
If someone should happen across this thread again, I'm very curious about the rockwork that needs to go into a cichlid tank. Is there any specific rocks that are best, or can I just use some big stones from the stream in my backyard? Also, how much rock is enough, and how much is too much. I don't want to crack a tank in the process of decorating. I've read that both gravel and sand are fine, I imagine I'll go for a darker, bigger substrate as I'm not a big fan of sand.
Well, texas holey rock and tufa are good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store