Fasting or No Fasting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I have heard that it is a good idea to not feed your betta one day per week. Do you all have an opinion on that?

Andre7

AC Members
Nov 19, 2014
I think its a good idea for any fish. It reduces the possibility of overfeeding and, related to that, it reduces the amount of waste (both fish waste and decaying food) in the tank. I find it also makes my fish scavenge for food a little more.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I think in my case it's beneficial. I've got 4 female bettas in my community 55g. Total piglets when I feed the tank. Probably fine for a lone betta as well.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i will fast my fish for several days at a time (2-3 days)because i feed 2 much. and during that time i usually will do a couple water changes during those days. the only tank that i dont fast is my 2 10 gallons because i only have bettas in there.*at least for now :)*

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Fasting fish once a week is a good idea especially if you feed flake or pellet food. This sometimes takes longer for them to digest and they'll just keep eating. Giving them a day to clear out their digestive system will help keep them healthy.

The only fish I do not fast one day a week are the ones I'm conditioning to breed. And they mostly get frozen foods so there is less chance of digestive clogging.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
thanks for all your answers. I appreciate it. My betta is situated right next to me when I am at the computer and he is always asking for food. I don't feed him much anyway, but now will definitely fast all the fish one day a week.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
well good luck,your gonna need it. it is so hard to ignore those little faces they make at you bagging for food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store