Strange Cardinal Tetra Disease

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
About a week ago, I noticed some of my cardinal tetras looking funny. It seemed they had a few bubbles growing out from underneath their scales. Over the last few days it has progressed and I have lost a few of the tetras. They must be uncomfortable, but they are acting fairly normally (schooling, eating well and voraciously, not flashing). I have other species of fish in the tank and none of them seemed affected, just the cardinals. Now this morning the lone rummy-nose tetra and one of the neon tetras is starting to develop bubbles as well.

All of my internet searching has led to only Gas Bubble Disease as a possible cause, but the photos dont match and it doesnt start near the head and mouth, but towards the tail. I also dont change the water with cold water, but match temps before adding it.

Tank info:
45 gallon corner tank. Sand bottom, planted low light. Eheim cannister filter, air bubbler, heater.
Stock: 14 cardinal tetras, 11 neon tetras, 1 BN pleco, 2 GBR, 4 peacock gudgeons, 1 gold tetra (came with the tank), 1 rummynose tetra (came with the tank), 2 male guppies, 3 nerite snails, 5-10 ramshorn snails
I do not feed live food
Parameters: Ammonia: 0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 30
Water changes 40% weekly

I have 3 other tanks, none are showing any signs of disease. I have added nothing to that tank in 2 months. The tank has been established for over 6 months. It did have ich a few months ago that was brought in on a plant I bought from my LFS, but successfully treated. No fish show signs of ich and havent since I stopped treatment over 2 months ago.
20150208_095001.jpg
Any help figuring out the cause would be appreciated. I really dont want to treat for something at a guess and really dont want to lose any more fish.

20150208_095001.jpg

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
So, like real bubbles? This happens when bubbles have been trapped in the tank, some make it onto the skin. Remove them immediately, it's dangerous to the fish.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Um, no. The bubbles are not on the skin and removable. They are under the skin and scales. Regular air bubbles on the fish like after a water change are not dangerous in the slightest and stressing the fish to remove them would be far more so.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
Um, no. The bubbles are not on the skin and removable. They are under the skin and scales. Regular air bubbles on the fish like after a water change are not dangerous in the slightest and stressing the fish to remove them would be far more so.
I don't mean after a W/C, I mean when first setting up a tank......

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
The tank has been established for 6 months. Air bubbles on the outside have nothing to do with the symptoms I presented. Please dont respond if you're not going to read the post, you're just going to confuse others who may be experiencing something similar or have real advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store