Got screwed by a fish lol

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Ok so I was in wal mart the other day and came across the fish section as I was looking through all these depressing with no matinence tanks I spotted a little Rainbow shark he was very active and at only 2.00$ I bought him I wanted to save him.. Anyways so I bring him home and put him in my 10 gallo with two baby tiger barbs and a Pleco ( all juveniles ) so 2 days go by and I see he isn't very active and the tank starts getting cloudy if course I do a water change and on the third day I wake up to find my Rainbow dead and long lines of algae on the tank and clear algae hairs aswell and also a horrific smell and the water so cloudy couldn't find the other fish including the Pleco who was on the glass at the time. So I put the 3 fish in a separate tank and managed to save them in time but now I'm dealing with this tank and these algae stains are almost impossible to remove anyone got any tips on how to remove it? Thnx

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
How would the fish cause algae problems? Did you add the water from the fish bag to your tank?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Do you have any readings for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? Any pics of the algae?

Just a theory, but overstocking the tank could have lead to a spike in params, and a concurrent algae bloom. A 10g isn't suitable for a rainbow shark.

Neatfish

AC Members
May 1, 2012
My Bat Cave somwhere in TX
The problem is you bought a fish at a store that don't know foul mouth what they are doing. I never ever bought a fish from them and if I did it would be going into a quarantine tank. I'm guilty because I sometime don't quarantine but I know the fish are healthy or not by looking at them.

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Yeah I felt bad for the little guy but the 10 g was definitely not over stocked there was only 4 fish and all of them being less then 2 inches long the tank was spotless before I bought him and once he got bigger I was gonna put him in my 45 gallon with my bala.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Overstocked was perhaps the wrong term to use...did you cycle the tank beforehand? If so, how? If there's not enough of a bacteria colony to handle another fish, although they do multiply fairly rapidly, it still make have caused a spike. That's why I asked for specific ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings.

And it definitely would have been overstocked shortly down the road. Tiger barbs should be in larger groups and therefore need more space. There are also zero pleco species I would keep in a 10 gal. except smaller species for breeding purposes only.

As a general rule, it is always best to quarantine new fish anyways. Especially if they are from, shall we say, "lower" end chain stores.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Fish can be carrying disease and not show signs of it in the store. That is why you should always quarantine for at least a week before adding to your other tanks. We've all learned this lesson the hard way, but one mistake should be enough to convince you that a quarantine tank is a must have if you decide to add fish. It can even be a rubbermade tub with a seeded filter. Doesnt have to be a special fully set up tank. Just somewhere the fish can hang out while you make certain they're not carrying any disease. Most box stores like walmart and petco/petsmart will have sick fish. And if one fish has it, all the fish do even if they're not showing symptoms. Their filtration system is generally tied all together. That is also why you should never dump fish store water into your established tank. Net the fish out once they've been quarantined and get rid of the water they were kept in.

Occasionally if I buy fish directly from a local breeder I trust, I wont quarantine, but that is the only time I dont set new fish up in their own tank for 2 weeks.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Also, are you sure it is algae and not fungus? Pictures would be helpful. My guess is the algae bloomed after the increase in bioload. Also could have been present in the water from the fish store if you dumped it right into the tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Like said above, I'd like to see readings in PPM for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and know the water change schedule and amount changed. Like said, this tank wasn't necessarily overstocked, but none of the fish in there are intended to be kept in such a small tank, even when juvenile IMO.

A healthy, established and maintained tank should never stink, or develop a stink so quickly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store