I'm back! Also I need advice!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
So I finally have my tank back up after over a year! I have a 45 gallon that currently has 4 Walker Gold Fish in it. I want to add some sort of bottom dweller, but not sure what I should go with. First thing that comes to mind is a pleco, but I'm not sure what kind.

TIA.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I would not recommend a dojo loach for a 45 gallon. They can grow to be a foot long. I'm not sure what a walker goldfish is. Is it a single tail or a fancy? Either way, your tank is pretty well stocked, goldfish need high water volume and lots of space.

A good small bottom dweller that would work in a tank that size and with cold water fish is the bulldog or rubber-lip pleco. I keep one in my 90g with my fancy goldfish. They're pretty shy but once they get used to the other fish and stuff they'll come out and be cute. They like caves. Mine especially loves to hang out in the rock piles. They also like zucchini like bristlenose do, but will eat pretty much anything.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Wb Mel...

Good to see you back!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yes, welcome back!

I too have no idea what walker goldfish are. Google came up with basically nothing. LOL..

Do you intend to keep the goldfish? If so, I wouldn't mix warm-water fish with them. FWIW, I've got a goldfish tank that I enjoy very much.

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
Boyfriend gave me the wrong name hahahaha! He bought them for me for Christmas, Wakin goldfish is what they are lol. It is mildly heated, about 72*. I have gravel in the bottom of the tank, so I don't know if loaches are the best choice?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Hi Mel! WB!

I'd go with a dojo as well.

Mark

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Boyfriend gave me the wrong name hahahaha! He bought them for me for Christmas, Wakin goldfish is what they are..
Interesting! I wonder what the difference is between them and Sarasa or Shubunkin goldfish. 72F definitely isn't too much for goldies, but will increase their growth and waste production rate, over keeping them in cooler temps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store