Empty 20L stocking?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ewest

AC Members
Jan 16, 2015
College in Flint MI, Home in Jackson MI
Real Name
Evan
I had previously posted asking what to stock in my 20L, i then got a convict and since then i have moved him into my new 40 with some other assorted fish. Anyways i now have a empty 20L ready for some new fish. This is the stocking list i have put together and according to aquavisor it will work. What do you think? Is this asking for trouble??? I really like the idea of this but i don't know if it will work.

1 x Cockatoo Apisto- male (Apistogramma cacatuoides)
1 x German Blue Ram- male (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)
1 x Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)
5 x Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi)
5 x Rummynose Tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri)
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]5 x Marbled Hatchet (Carnegiella strigata)[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Stocking level would be 92%[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]With my Fluval 206 i have a filtration capacity of 113%
Water changes would be about 30% a week
PH: 6-7
Temp: 80-81F
[/FONT]

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
That seems like too much, IMHO.

I'd choose either the Apisto or the blue rams, and do a pair.

I'd also choose either of the tetras, skip the hatchets, and do about 8-10. Otherwise I (personally) feel the mid-top levels would be too busy.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I'd skip the gourami.. you may get some fighting with the ram and apisto.
I also agree either hatchets or a tetra species.

I keep borelli's , cacatuoides (orange flash , double and super reds) as well as agassizi . I also keep both species of Rams.
you can try mixing Rams and apisto's but you'll want to keep an eye on them and make sure you have plenty of sight barriers, just in case.

I found it's not so much a tight fitting lid as hatchets have gotten stuck in tiny gaps I've had them get stuck trying to jump into filters(they seem to like the flow)

I'd stay away from pushing the stocking levels to allow more space for the stock.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
I've never kept GBRs but from my reading of other users' experience they alone do best in 50-60L (Correct me if I'm wrong). I have a dwarf gourami and a golden wonder killi in a 10G right now and I've been told that even that is overstocking. 20L also seems very restricting for any sort of fish that likes to swim around a lot like tetras.

Ewest

AC Members
Jan 16, 2015
College in Flint MI, Home in Jackson MI
Real Name
Evan
Okay so this is what im now thinking about:

1× Pair of rams/ Kribs/ apisto
1× dwarf gourami
10× cardinal tetras

I would love to havemultiple species of dwarf cichlids in the tank but it sounds like that may be a bad idea

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store