Possible ICK new fish please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
can't really tell from the picture..ich looks like the fish was sprinkled with salt..

did you put the fish in the main tank??

you should read the stickies about disease(Ich) as well as quarantine procedures.

utahpezel

AC Members
Nov 21, 2009
Ok, will do. Thanks for getting back to me. He is so small ( maybe 1.5 in), it is hard to tell whether it is more like salt or he is just beat up

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
did you QT first?

utahpezel

AC Members
Nov 21, 2009
Not an option at this point. Just starting my first tank in about ten years. I am bummed out because I bought them from the most reputable store in my area.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What size tank, how long established and what is the specific stocking?

utahpezel

AC Members
Nov 21, 2009
60 gallon 4 Acei (1.5in to 2in), 4 electric yellow Cichlids (same size), 4 Venustus (same size), tank has been running for 8 weeks, levels were perfect after 4 weeks using established media from a buddy, waited 2 weeks then added Venustus, added the Acei and yellows last night

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
so no fish in the tank during the four weeks with established media...???

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
suggest you start monitoring the parameters(NH3/NH4, NO2, NO3)

bacteria from established media if not fed can go dormant.
adding fish to an established tank , slowly, is fine but you should be aware that if you don't follow some sort of QT you run a high risk of inviting disease or parasites to your tank.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
From the picture, it does not look like Ich to me, but I cant guarantee as the photo quality isnt quite good enough to be sure. In my experience, Ich is very bright white spots, and you'll usually see them best on the fins. The ones in you photo didnt look bright enough to me. Your spots could be injuries or a bacterial infection though. I've noticed damage similar to that after a fish had been caught from a tank with gravel at the fish store. Especially if the fish is hard to catch and does a lot of running into the gravel or decor while they're trying to catch it. Just cause it may not be ich doesnt mean the fish is healthy. Keep an eye on it for sure. If you see the fish rubbing against the substrate or decor (flashing) it may mean that he has an external parasite. Clamped fins and heavy breathing are also something to look out for. I would keep the lights very low or off for a few days except when you're spending time watching them. That tends to be less stressful for new fish.

All the other advice above is good and I wont reiterate it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store