Reverse osmosis water change over question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ewest

AC Members
Jan 16, 2015
College in Flint MI, Home in Jackson MI
Real Name
Evan
I'm thinking about going over to pure RO water in my 20 gallon Long as i am getting rams soon. I will add back in a buffering agent and nutrients but this way i can control the water and insure the proper water for the rams......will changing 100% of the water in my tank and replacing it with RO water kill my cycle?

Andre7

AC Members
Nov 19, 2014
No.

The bacteria lives mainly in the filter, and some in the substrate, but very little is actually found in the water column.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would say it might affect your livestock if you have any, bacteria should be fine.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Unless those are wild caught rams, I don't see the need to switch and then add stuff back in. A lot of work with little visible results, IMO. If you have a specific high parameter to lower then experiment and find out how much RO to add to tap to get the requirements in the general area, then water change as needed.

Ewest

AC Members
Jan 16, 2015
College in Flint MI, Home in Jackson MI
Real Name
Evan
Well currently the water is set up as it would be for African cichlids....i was not keeping those in a 20 but that's the best way to describe the water, the water comes out of my tap like that. So from my understanding its the exact opposite of what rams need....

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What specifically is bad? What are you trying to get where and for what specific reason?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store