Stocking 30gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EverKi

AC Members
Feb 13, 2015
Canada
I'm not a newbie but figured this might be the best place to post. Pulled my 30gal out and got it all cycles so now it's time to think about what fish to add, I really don't know what to get, it is kind of a birthday gift for my daughters third birthday so looking for something bright an entertaining to kids. In other words I need any and all suggestion and would like a community tank vs a species tank.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Kids like color and movement, so either

1) Danios and barbs== Some color, lots of movement
2) Platies and guppies=== Lots of color options
3) Some tetras and a pair or 3 of ADF=== Kids love frogs.

EverKi

AC Members
Feb 13, 2015
Canada
Hey guys thanks for all the suggestions and I decided to actually measure my tank (it's been 3 years since I had it set up) and it's actually a 37 gal that extra 7 gal makes a huge difference. Would mollies do well in my tank? If so anything else I could put in with them or should I just stick with maybe a mix of different mollies? I'd like a few bottom feeders as well (loved my albino corydoras)

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
Also, honey, dwarf, banded and thick-lipped gouramis are nice.

EverKi

AC Members
Feb 13, 2015
Canada
Thanks for all the suggestions I took the kids out to the store last night to see what they were most attracted to, and seems ballon Molly's kept their eye the most well besides my six year old trying to tell me I needed a red tail shark which I told her she couldn't have lol

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
I wouldn't get balloon mollies, they have shortened lifespans from inbreeding, and you'd just be encouraging people to keep breeding them.

EverKi

AC Members
Feb 13, 2015
Canada
Awe ok, I've inly ever has Dalmatian mollies in the past so I wasn't aware of that, so I wont get any of those, I've got till tomorrow to decide as Id like to add a few to the take for my daughters party, there are jut so many fish and without just going with what I've had in the past it's really hard to pick lol.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
+1 for cories for bottom dwellers. You can keep them with mollies and other livebearers without really worrying about the fry. They're very active and cute. Paleatus cories are a good option, easy to find and reasonably priced. I have trilineatus (false julii/reticulated julii). They're a bit pricier, but I love their patterns. Just make sure you get them in a group.

EverKi

AC Members
Feb 13, 2015
Canada
Oh those are beautiful! I don't think I've come across them here. Cories are a very real possibility I have loved having them in the past and they are fun to watch. So if I did mollies and cories how many would safely fit into a 37gal with some room for error since its been 3+ years since my last tank? Mollies, danio's, and tetras seem to be the most busy/brightly colored one without needing a bigger tank (which I plan to do at some point). Or any other fish I might be skipping over?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store