Back after a long Hiatus!!! And need some help, badly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spudjnr123

AC Members
Apr 3, 2006
Vacaville, CA
www.flickr.com
Real Name
Taylor
Camera Used
Nikon D610
Hey Everyone,
I'm back after being gone for a few years. I've had a new tank, a 38 Gallon tetra tank, with all schooling tetras (Embers, Neons, Silvertips). Unfortunately I got ich from a few shrimp I added to the tank three weeks ago.

I've been treating in this fashion:

Treated with .3% salt brought up over 4 days.

Temperature raised to 82F (over 5 days)

Added JUNGLE Ich Clear Fizz Tabs (Malachite Green) at half strength for 7 days, now at full strength.

Unfortunately, the treatment works well on fish, but not shrimp. The shrimp continued to be grossly infected, and so have been removed. My issue is, I'm worried about my fish. Fish have not shown signs of re-infestation in about a week but my neons are really having difficulty in the new conditions. But I'm afraid to lessen conditions lest the disease return.

Does anyone have any advice?

Edit:
Params and stocking
pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm

Stocking (after ghost shrimp removal):
6 Neons (approx. 3/4"), 4 Embers (approx. 5/8"), 4 silvertips (approx. 1")
4 Orange Shrimp

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd stick to the treatment for 7-10 days after all visible signs of ich have left...or sense you got the tank to the required levels to treat it.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If your convinced bringing them in caused it, I would say remove them, as your initial post seems to indicate you have. The incubation and life cycle of ich would suggest at least 10 days from the removal of the shrimp.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Are you sure its ich? I was under the impression that ich was an obligate parasite of fish and that shrimp could not get it. Can you post pictures so we can see if it is truly ich you're dealing with and not another fish disease?

spudjnr123

AC Members
Apr 3, 2006
Vacaville, CA
www.flickr.com
Real Name
Taylor
Camera Used
Nikon D610
I don't have any pics from the fish, as it's completely gone from the fish. Google is my friend, should have gone there first before killing the shrimp, however as you can see from the picture, at first blush it looked pretty cut and dry. It also could have been some plants I put in the tank at the same time as the shrimp. I had the fish tanked for three weeks before I added the shrimp, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't the fishes' fault. The shrimp looked like this:

dscn7529_111.jpg

dscn7529_111.jpg

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Is that a ghost shrimp? If so, white spotting is fairly normal. Upon further investigation and a call to my old ichthyology professor, ich cannot infect shrimp. It can only infect fish because it attaches to gills and skin. Shrimp have an exoskeleton, not skin, so there is nothing for them to infect.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I too have read over the years that the ich parasite can't attach to inverts, but I suppose it could have been it the bag water from where the shrimp came from.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Ich lives in the water and emerges as a killer when water quality or fish stress become an issue.

:(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store