Brown Algae Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tomas4445

Registered Member
Feb 20, 2015
Hey all,
I'm having recurrent brown algae growth on rocks, plants, decorations and gravel in my aquarium. I've been keeping fish for 8+ years and I've never had an issue like this.
Three months ago I moved across town and decided to up-size my aquarium from a 29 gal to a 40 gal. I also changed out my old aquarium gravel for new bright red stuff I picked up at a big box pet store. But everything else is the same, the fish, the food, the lights.
I expected to have some diatomaceous algae for a few weeks with the new gravel, but it's been roaring for months and covers everything in my aquarium after a week or two (I've completely stripped down my aquarium and powerwashed all the logs, threw out plants that had leaves covered with the algae, scrubbed both my filters and all the tubing). The algae is coming back again.
The algae is brown filamentous stuff that coats surfaces and looks like fuzzy hair. It will not scrub off easily. The stuff that does come off builds up in my filters and quickly degrades their function.

Water Parameters:
Temp 83
pH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 5-10 ppm just prior to water changes
Hardness (not sure but likely toward the high end, I live in Colorado).
I use residential tap water and have never had a problem with algae until the move.

I have a Fluval canister filter and a small HOB filter. I use carbon filters as well as mechanical.
I use high quality flake food, same stuff I've used for years.
I use LED lighting on a dimmer switch (i have both 10k and 13k bulbs, neither has made a difference, nor has using brighter or dimmer settings).

I do 80-90 percent water change about once every 10 days. I strip down and clean the filters every other month.

40 gal tank
4 juvenile angelfish
8 rummy nose tetras
5 corydora catfish
1 bristle nose pleco (who I've never seen eat the brown algae)

I also have a few anubis nana plants, but I've had to throw out so many because they get covered with algae and I can't scrub it off without destroying the underlying leaves.

I've heard high levels of silicates in the water can cause brown algae. Is the silica coming from the new gravel? I'm at a loss here. Advice appreciated.
Thanks

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I've had diatoms last almost 6 months and then disappear. It's a PITA, but I think tearing everything apart is going to hurt more than help.

Most aquarium gravels are fairly inert, so I doubt you're getting silicates from that...I've heard it can leach from new tanks, but I'm not sure if there's much merit to that claim or not.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Probably Black Beard Algae. You can spot treat with flourish excel or I believe hydrogen peroxide, but double check me on that one. Adding live plants and following a CO2 routine can help keep it in check too. Bleaching the decor will work on those individual outbreaks, but like any algae, all it takes is one surviving cell in the tank for it to continue to survive and spread. I've been fighting this for ages and have not been able to eradicate it completely from any tank, though my planted tanks only have small areas of fuzzies. I've heard that true siamese algae eaters will eat BBA, but I've never tried it.

Tomas4445

Registered Member
Feb 20, 2015
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I have black beard algae (it looks brown when out of the water). I am going to move my fish to another aquarium and try bleaching the driftwood. I may switch from gravel to sand so there are less places for leftover food to collect. I was feeding one pinch of flake twice a day (maybe a teaspoon each time). I may try backing off the feeding a bit after rebuilding the tank.

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
I had the same issue I did a 2 hour clean out and tht was just for a 10 gallon and a whole hour was scrubbing a big thick line of algae of the glass my best advice for algae on the aquarium glass is to scrub real hard with a sponge tht was never used and also use hot water to try it. It will take a while on it especially on a 40 gallon, if tht doesn't work I heard tht pumice (stone) works but I wouldn't risk due to the glass might being scratched.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store