Mystery Snail and ADF Qs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thesilentrunner

Registered Member
Feb 20, 2015
Hey!

I'm new, so if I posted in the wrong spot, please don't be rude.

Anyway,
I have a ten gallon freshwater tank. I was thinking of getting a mystery snail and maybe three ADFs. However, I also want at least two fish. Im not sure if there is enough room for the snail, three frogs, and two fish. I also need from for the decorations. I really want the best for my pets.

I have researched fish that can live in ten gallon tanks, fish that can live with snails, and fish that can live with ADFs. I'm not finding much. Many results are contradicting each other. Some people say betta fish are good with these animals and others disagree.

I would like to know:

1. Do I have enough room in a ten gallon tank for a mystery snail, three ADFs, and two fish?
2. What type of fish can get along with a snail and ADFs while living in a ten gallon tank?
3. How can I make sure they all get food? I found out that some fish eat all the food before the frogs get any.
4. Will I need many plants? I know frogs would like hiding places

Any advice would be fantastic. Thanks!

SherLar

AC Members
Feb 26, 2015
Midwest United States
Real Name
Sherri & Larry
African dwarf clawed frogs don't get very large, so should be fine in a ten gallon. Adding a couple fish should also be fine, as long as fish are at least as large as the frogs, and relatively fast when need be. I have full sized clawed frogs, and they eat fish up to 3 inches long, any they can catch. When you turn off your aquarium light at night, many types of fish settle to the bottom, making the easy frog snacks. Mollies, swords, platies, etc would all be fine additions, but all are live-bearers, so you would need a nursery tank if you don't want the babies eaten by the frog. As far as feeding, I would go with a high-quality flake for the fish, and sinking pellets for the frogs, supplimented by a quarter cube of frozen bloodworms or tubifex a couple times per week.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I semi agree with SherLar. A 10 would be too small for a mollie or a swordtail, but 2 platies would be OK. You can have either 2 males or 2 females to not have any baby issues. Most livebearer babies hang out on the surface anyway--out of the way of ADFs.
PS--Plants are nice, but not really needed.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I would definitely say "No" to a betta with an ADF. I tried it, it didnt work. They would fight over food and the frog was constantly going after the betta and trying to eat its tail. In my experience, a frog, even the tiny ADFs, will try to eat anything that it can catch that it thinks will fit in its mouth. Full sized platies should be fine though. I cant see the frogs trying to take them on. Just make sure you have another option if the frogs get adventurous.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You could comfortably put a group of celestial pearl danios in the 10 with ADFs and mystery snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store