Tank background and black painted tanks?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Does it matter if there is a background on a fish tank or not really? I know it makes it look nice but does it have any benefits towards the fish? Also what's ur opinion on black painted tank backgrounds?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I don't think it matters much to the fish, plenty of holding/breeding tanks don't use backgrounds.

I've spray painted the backs of tanks a few times. Definitely less hassle than dealing with the roll-up ones...just a bit more permanent.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I think painted tanks are great for viewing.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I used plastidip on the back of my tanks. Effect is a lot like spray paint, but this way if you ever want to change the color you can just peel it right off.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
It adheres pretty well. You have to be careful when peeling off the tape though. If any got on the tank you have to razor the edge of the tape so it doesnt peel the background off with it. I used 3 coats, but I was being anal. Also, the can said to wait 30 min between coats, but bubbles in the spray will dry if you wait that long and then you get uneven texture. Again, I was anal lol. You could probably do fine with 2 coats 10 min apart. Then give it a good couple of hours to dry thoroughly before you call it done.

I'm like the worst DIY person ever and I figured it out, so I'm sure you'll be fine lol.

canucksfan1

AC Members
Feb 26, 2007
Gibsons, B.C.
PLastidip is the way to go if you think you might ever want to remove it. I would do 3 or 4 coats. The more you do the easier it is to peel off. Spraypaint looks about the same and it does come off with a razorblade, but a lot more labour intensive.

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
Due to the outdoor temperature being an average of like 12 degrees lately I've had to paint my new tank indoors. This meant foam brush and roller. Not gonna spray inside the house. It has been a PITA to get this stuff to stick well. I used good outdoor paint and every time I do a coat and wait for it to dry I can see light through needle sized holes here and there. No matter how many times I cover it up, more come when it dries. I've done at least 5 coats at this point. I'm almost about to say screw it and scrape it all off and try limo tint instead.

celtic11

Registered Member
Apr 17, 2005
I have a 55 gallon I'll be setting up soon and I'm undecided what I am going to do with it. I was planning on spray painting it but I'm dealing with low outdoor temps here too. On my 29 I just bought a black poster board for like $.50. It worked pretty well in my opinion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store