How can you pair cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
I am looking at purchasing a new 80g+ and I might want to stock it with Cichlids. My question is, what types go with what types(N.W. & A) If I get any response Ill show you the full list of Cichlids im interested in (Keyword INTERESTED, not going to get them if they'll kill each other.) and no, I wont cram all the fish on the list into an 80g.
Please help, thanks!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
It is generally not recommended to mix "types" at all, in particular you shouldn't cross continents.

That being said, cichlids represent a wide variety of fish and different behaviors, so it helps to know exactly what you are interested in stocking.

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
Well this is a mix of American/New World Cichlids and African cichlids from live Aquaria [ http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=830 ] and I know most wont be able to be housed among one another. This is just a list of fish that peak my interest, I'm not planning to get every single one.
anyways, enough blabbing, here it is. (I know its a massive list)
(African)
Frontosa Cichlid, Kenyi Cichlid, Maingano Cichlid, Venustus Cichlid, Blue Peacock Cichlid, Tretocephalus Cichlid, Red Peacock Cichlid, Yellow Peacock Cichlid, Demansoni Cichlid, Calvus Cichlid, Marlieri Cichlid, Gold Sexfaciatus Cichlid, Duboisi Cichlid, Cylidricus Cichlid, Jeweled Goby Cichlid.
(American & New World)
Fire Mouth Cichlid, Texas Cichlid, Green Texas Cichlid, Double Full Red Cockatoo Cichlid, Bolivian Cichlid, Assorted Apistrogramma, Green Terror, Blue Acara, Jack Dempsey, Electric Blue Jack Dempsy.
(Angels)
Black Veil Angelfish, Marbled Veil Angelfish, Blue Angelfish
:tropicalfish:

Last edited:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Even "African" is a bit too broad to make any reasonable generalizations, so for clarity...

Frontosa Cichlid- Tanganyika
Kenyi Cichlid- Malawi Mbuna
Maingano Cichlid- Malawi Mbuna
Venustus Cichlid- Malawi Hap
Blue Peacock Cichlid- Malawi Peacock
Tretocephalus Cichlid- Tanganyika
Red Peacock Cichlid- Malawi Peacock
Yellow Peacock Cichlid- Malawi Peacock
Demansoni Cichlid- Malawi Mbuna
Calvus Cichlid- Tanganyika
Marlieri Cichlid- Tanganyika
Gold Sexfaciatus Cichlid- Tanganyika
Duboisi Cichlid- Tanganyika
Cylidricus Cichlid- Tanganyika
Jeweled Goby Cichlid- Tanganyika

With Africans, another general rule is don't mix lakes. Tanganyikans are best with other Tanganyikans. Malawi with Malawi, etc. etc. Some people even say separate Mbuna, Haps, and Peacocks (all from Malawi), but I personally don't know enough about them to say for sure.

There are exceptions, but it's just something to keep in mind. I've seen larger Tangs (like Frontosa) kept with Mbuna, but it's not something I recommend without more experience.

Angels and dwarf cichlids, like rams and apistos, are more community fish than the larger CA/SA cichlids. I haven't kept anything like Jack Dempsey's or Green terrors, so I'll let someone else talk about those.

Your list is far too varied to get really detailed. IMHO, you should pick one "group" that you like best and determine stocking from there.

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
Thanks, I'm very impressed that you took the time to care, and I will narrow my list using the tips you gave me. Thanks so much jpappy789.
P.S. I really love Green Terrors, so if anyone knows anything about what they're like and the tankmates that can go with them, That'd be great!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh