New 55 Tank Setup, A Few General Questions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ws66370

AC Members
Mar 23, 2008
So after being out of the hobby for 5 years I decided to dive back in and set up my old 55g tank. This will be an African cichlid tank with a sand bed and many rocks and maybe a java fern or two.

Filtration: Two Aquaclear 110 HOBs

Cycle: I decided to go with the frozen shrimp method of cycle since I cant find any pure ammonia and I can't find any good reason that it wont be successful. I have never cycled like this but I have a master test kit on the way and I will monitor it. Anything I should know about cycling this way over cycling with fish?

Also, I have a UV sterilizer, should I run it during the cycle or will it mess things up?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
It works, just takes longer since you have to wait for it to break down...have you looked at all the hardware stores in the area? I'd be very surprised if you can't find any ammonia.

I've never really cared for UV sterilizers, but it probably wont hurt anything. The nitrifying bacteria adhere to surfaces, and UV sterilizers only remove what's in the water column, more or less.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Gonna have to wait a while with this method, unfortunately. It establishes ammonia for the cycle to jump-start itself in order to create bb. I hate this method and always seed with filter media from an established tank to ensure proper seeding of substrate and new filter media. That with existing decorations, wood, and sandy substrate can establish a tank in no time. I usually do same day and have seen no issues that small water changes could not take care of. I have never lost a fish moving anything from an old tank to a new tank.

$0.02 :)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like the start to a nice setup! Twin AC110s will be a TON of water flow for a 55. Probably fine for most cichlids and/or a non-planted tank.

Yep, you'll need some SERIOUS patience for the rotten shrimp method to do it's thing. I've gone the household ammonia route for fishless cycling. I found "pure" ammonia at the dollar store of all places. Austin's brand ammonia. No dyes, perfumes or surfactants in it. I'd almost rather have a root canal than go through a fish-less cycle again, when you can start up a tank instantly with seeded media.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store