Help with stocking new tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deetles

AC Members
Feb 10, 2015
I've got my 36 gallon up & running, seeded & water tested with good levels...I have an angel fish in a 20 gallon that is growing & needs this bigger tank...I'm hoping I can put him in next weekend. What I think I want to stock it with are this angel #1, 5 platys, 1 balloon molly, and 5 rummynose tetras and a small pleco...maybe a clown plec or a bristlnosed plec.....I'd like to add maybe a couple of Bolivian Rams but I'm not sure...I also saw a Keyhole cichlid might work or some other kind of peaceful dwarf cichlid. I don't think a German Blue Ram will work for me because my water is hard. OR any other suggestion on something that might create more interest or harmony between all the other fish in the tank would be appreciated. I really like the rummynoses :dance2: so I don't want to scrap them unless there is a big issue with them.

Do you think this is too much for this tank or is the stocking level ok? I have a Fluval C3 hob filter & I am considering adding an Aqueon quiet flow 30 to help out. Do you think I need the extra filter? Also I was thinking of adding some rams horn snails but I am concerned with the possibility the snails will take over the tank...I have nerites & 1 blue mystery snail in my 20 gallon so I don't have any experience with ramshorn snails. I might go with an ivory mystery snail tho cuz my gravel is black.

Any thoughts are welcome....

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I dont see a huge problem with the stocking, but tetras should be in groups of 6 or more. Also, be sure not to put too small of fish in the tank depending on the size of your angelfish. Angels are predators and they eat smaller fish. In the wild, adult angel fish prey on neon tetras so you can get an idea of what size fish you need to have so that your angel cant eat them.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Angels sometimes eat small tetras. By this I do mean small, small. Many people keep adult angels with adult tetras and have no problem. I've kept my surviving adult angel with rasbora and rainbow fish fry but they never make it past a day or so. Having said that: those are just fry or even super small juveniles. I think you will be okay in a 36g just make sure it is heavily planted. Don't do the ram pair and keyhole if you already have a centerpiece angelfish.

deetles

AC Members
Feb 10, 2015
My angelfish is currently in with a couple of silver tip tetras & he does not bother them so I think I am ok with the rummys...I won't be adding them until last...I'd like to add something else that is a bit different, I don't know what tho...something with some character maybe...I guess half the fun is finding out what else would be cool! Thanks for the suggestions...if anyone has anymore ideas feel free to post!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
couple things... you never know with angels but suffice it to say they may attempt to eat anything they 'think' they can fit in their mouths..

I have a lot of angels tetras are safe in some tanks but in others..ahhh not so much.. even fast tetras like cardinals and black noens have become angel fodder.. so if you add rummies keep that in mind if they start to disappear. my discus even eat cardinals... but on the flipside a larger school of them helps spread the aggression angels may exhibit.

Angels are ambush predators.. they like to hide in structure wait for an unsuspecting meal to get close...

if you add a clown of BN make sure you have wood in the tank.. especially true for clowns but both like to rasp on wood..
I second either small loaches or cories...if you are looking to do a biotope type tank then go with corydora... if you add live bearers you will supply the angel with a good source of live food.... as in babies

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store