Ammonia high from what?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

saber2th

AC Members
Feb 23, 2015
Harrison Township, MI
Hi everyone,
I have a 37 gal. that I plan on being a planted tank. So I have been buying stuff here and there. Still waiting to get the lighting. I wanted to get the driftwood waterlogged and test out the new SunSun 303b canister filter and get the the bio started. So I set up the tank a couple days ago with the old gravel that I had. In the filter trays I have filter pads, poly fill and lava rocks (bio). Cleaned the driftwood good and added it to the tank. Had to put a bag of rocks on the one piece to hold it down. Water was been cloudy so I tested the water, I do not have any fish in the tank yet. The ammonia was high, around 2.0 ppm. The nitrites 0, nitrates0, ph between 7.2-7.8, but the chlorine was 2.0!! When I filled the tank I added DeChlor.
When I get my light (Current USA Satellite Plus Pro 24"-36" LED) and plants, I will be switching the gravel to eco-complete topped with some black sand. I just set up the tank to make sure it didn't leak and to get the filter going and to get the driftwood ready.
Just wondering how the ammonia and chlorine would be so high without any fish or food?

thanks!!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
My guess would be your municipal water supply is using chloramine as opposed to chlorine. If I've read about this correctly, after being treated with dechlor, chloramine converts to some ammonia. This ammonia shouldn't harm your fish if you dose (per instructions) with a quality dechlor like Prime. Your beneficial bacteria will then process the ammonia to nitrates.

You will probably continue to read ammonia until you build sufficient BB to process it. Can you load your Sunsun with some healthy, established media from another running tank?

saber2th

AC Members
Feb 23, 2015
Harrison Township, MI
You will probably continue to read ammonia until you build sufficient BB to process it. Can you load your Sunsun with some healthy, established media from another running tank?
Well, I do have some bio balls in the wet/dry filter down stairs. I could replace some of those with some newer ones that I have laying around! The 55 gal. downstairs has been running for several years and has lots of rocks. So what do you think would be a safe amount that I could take from that filter without causing a problem to the host tank?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Hard to say how much BB your established tank could afford to loose. Depends on stocking level, etc.. Maybe grab 1/3 of it out of your established filter to use for the new filter and monitor params daily for a few days just to make sure that tank produces nothing but nitrates.

That's why it's always nice to run multiple (easily portable) filters. You can swap a whole used filter over to a new tank for an instant setup.

saber2th

AC Members
Feb 23, 2015
Harrison Township, MI
This is what I used to remove the chlorine, and I did add more than instructed! I've always used Prime in the past, but picked this up on a whim!
-5-oz.jpg

-5-oz.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
When you stock the new tank, I'd use a dechlor that handles chloramine and detoxes ammonia (Prime). You'll need it if your water supply uses chloramine.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Dip strips of liquid test kits?

saber2th

AC Members
Feb 23, 2015
Harrison Township, MI
Dip strips of liquid test kits?
For the ammonia, I used API's liquid test. For the others I use API's test strips. On my sons 20 gal. everything checks out good! I plan on getting a fresh water master test kit soon. I used to have one years ago and loved it!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
have you tested the source water??

I am guessing you use tap..if so you should get a container let it sit out over night and test that.
then add a bit of the de chlor and test it again(you prob won't need much de chlor)

outside of that you can get NH3/NH4 from the wood as well.. where did that come from??

saber2th

AC Members
Feb 23, 2015
Harrison Township, MI
have you tested the source water??

I am guessing you use tap..if so you should get a container let it sit out over night and test that.
then add a bit of the de chlor and test it again(you prob won't need much de chlor)

outside of that you can get NH3/NH4 from the wood as well.. where did that come from??
Yes, I did use tap water. I will try this and see what happens. I did not know that driftwood will affect NH3/NH4! Not really sure what kind of wood it is, got it from a LFS and it just said African driftwood. Here is a photo of it, maybe you or someone else can help me out with it!
e2ec3077-429f-4be2-9c8d-367136715d94_zpsujtl4wpv.jpg

e2ec3077-429f-4be2-9c8d-367136715d94_zpsujtl4wpv.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store