Considering types of fish for a 20 g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Evi

AC Members
Jan 27, 2015
Hi, I am planning to buy a 20 gallon tank. I was just wondering if people have any suggestions for types or combinations of freshwater fish that would go well together.

I have a little fish keeping experience:
I used to keep betas when I was younger (separately) and had a few platies together in a 10 gallon.

Thanks

Evi

AC Members
Jan 27, 2015
Well I do like Cichlids; but I have gotten mixed information about their aggression. Would I be able to keep dwarf Cichlids with other kinds of fish?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I forgot to ask, is this a 20 "long" or "high" tank? Makes a bit of a difference.

Dwarf cichlids would be an option (e.g. rams, apistos, etc.) and they can do well in a community setting. Much less territorial and aggressive than some of the larger ones.

SherLar

AC Members
Feb 26, 2015
Midwest United States
Real Name
Sherri & Larry
Before you try to decide what fish to put in your new tank, you may want to decide what type of community you want; i.e. live-bearer, active, relaxing, colorful, odd-ball; freshwater, brackish, or marine etc. Will it be a planted tank, or will it have artificial deco? When you know what type of tank you want, it's easier to decide what specific fish to put in it.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
The tank will be a 20 gallon long.
A 20 long would be perfect for a pair of rams/apistos/kribs/keyholes/etc. with a school of tetras or something similar (e.g. barbs, rasboras, etc.) for the mid-upper levels, and maybe a group of corys or smaller loaches (e.g. kuhlis).

Really depends on what you like best, and what may be available in your area.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome Evi!

As said, there's lots to think about. Tank placement for ease of water changes and general maintenance is important. You'll also need to consider if you want live plants or not so you choose the proper hardware like lighting, etc. You'll have to decide how you intend to cycle the tank; Fish-less, fish-in or with seeded media.

I think pretty much everyone would agree a 20L is an ideal starter tank. I personally like 29's better for a display tank. They're the same footprint as a 20L, but a lot taller.

There's not a real lot in the cichlid realm that would thrive in a 20L footprint, but like said, rams or shell-dwellers would work.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I have 2 20g high tanks. In one, I have cherry barbs and some leopard danios. In the other, I have harlequin rasboras , celestial pearl danios and cory catfish. Both combos seem to be working out well.

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
I will 2nd what most of the other people said. Well don't do the Noah's Ark approach (2 of every species). When I was younger and had fish tanks I couldn't resist stocking like that and ultimately its not a good way of doing things. Since you like Cichlids check out German blue rams or Kribensis. (I personally like cory cats).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store