Eheim 2217 spray bar whistles

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
Just getting my 55 set up and had to cut the tube down about an inch or so on the spray bar of my 2217 to make it fit the side of the tank. All was well for a few hours. Then I returned to the room the tank is in and could hear a distinct whistling noise. If I cover up any one of the holes in the spray bar the noise stops. I'm assuming there is just the right amount of pressure with one less hole in the bar to make the noise. Should I use my drill to make the holes slightly bigger or is there a better way to do this before I take my drill to my spray bar?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yeah, I prefer spray-barless myself.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
keep an eye on your stock.. I removed a spray bar which created less surface agitation.. after 1/2 day I noticed several large fish gasping at the surface... put the spray bar back on...and with in a few minutes the fish stopped gasping.. oddly this only happened in 1 other tank with very similar set ups..in one I left the spray bar off but added a sponge filter...

btw, in all th eother tanks I left the spray bar on but drilled the holes larger reducing the output enough to help settle fish.

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
Will keep an eye out for gasping. Just added fish today, and they seem to be acclimating well. Keeping the lights off for the night, though. I'll be able to inspect more thoroughly in the morning.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Drilling out the holes is fine. I've done it to reduce the flow on 2217's that I run on 29 gallon tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store