Is there a corner aquarium smaller than 36 gallons?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I'm looking to add a shellie setup in my house. However, the SO has limited me to where I can add a new tank because of his hatred for the sound of running water (i.e. filters, air bubblers, etc). Pretty much the only space I would have for my 4th tank is in one small corner in the dining room. A 36 gallon bowfront would fit, but it would stick out just far enough to make sitting at the dining table a bit awkward. In my search, I have not come across a corner tank smaller than that. While I can stick a 20 high in that corner and it would be fine, any longer footprint rectangle would come out too far. I'd also prefer to use that corner space since shellies like a larger footprint and dont use the top levels of the tank.

Anyone know whether they make/made aquariums around 20-30 gallons that are corner shaped? Can be bowfront or pentagon. I'd like to stay away from oct or hex aquariums since the viewing panes are so small.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Afraid there aren't any smaller than the 36 unless you have one custom made. Aqueon's smallest is the 54 (the 36 has been discontinued) and Marineland's smallest is the 44.

You may want to consider a hex tank. There are 10 and 13 gallon hexes that can go in a corner. But hex tanks are tall and have a small footprint which isn't ideal for shellies.

Andy

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Thanks. I'll look into having someone make something for me, but that will depend on the price. Otherwise I may just get a used 36 corner bow and move my dining table a few inches. I was also looking into flatback hex tanks, but they seem really narrow/thin, which might interfere with some rockwork aquascaping. I'm not sure how far from the wall it would have to stick out either. all said and done

I'm not really ready for it yet since I still want to use the 15 column that is already there as a quarantine tank for fish I'm hoping I can get soon, but you never know when a good deal on CL will come up so Im starting to look now.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Flat back hex tanks are the same width as their rectangular counterparts. Just with the chamfer on the front corners.

For shellies you really don't want a lot of rock work. Lots of open space with shells in between.

A long, vertically short tank really looks best in my opinion.

Andy

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
As mentioned, shell dwellers couldn't care less about rock work. A big ol' pile of shells is all that is needed.

Footprint is certainly key, but I suppose it depends on what exactly you plan on keeping. A single pair of something wont need a whole lot of space themselves, but once you get fry maturing you'll see the effects of cramping. A N. multifasciatus colony needs space to grow, for example.

Aesthetically, I'm not a fan of taller tanks either. Waste of space IMHO...

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Yeah, I figured if I had to get a taller tank, I'd do some rockwork just to add some decoration to the height. I'm hoping to get gold occies again, they're so much more interesting to me than multis, even if they are harder to find and more expensive. Only planning on having one male and two females and then room for fry. They are very aggressive for how small they are and in my 20 tall, I couldnt house 2 males. Miss those little fish though. Had to sell off even my breeding pair when I moved to a place with terrible well water. Now my house has much better water and I want to give them another go.

After measuring the space again, it really wont fit a tank longer than a 20L (30") and a flatback hex would just look less like it's sticking out. But they're all tall tanks, and I did want less height so that there wouldnt be a bunch of empty space up top

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
I've seen 26 and 28 gallon bowfront style tanks at the various big box pet stores. They remind me of a smaller version of my 36 bowfront. Is that kind of what you are looking for? Honestly I think they would stick out a bit more than a 20 tucked crosswise in the corner, since its face would be flat.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Try Glasscages. They can build you a tank to your specifications. I'm guessing pricey, tho. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store