HELP HAIR ALGAE

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
I have a heavily planted 20L stocked with Dario Dario and I've recently had a bad hair algae bloom. I've never dealt with hair algae and want to know how to minimize or get rid of it. Thanks

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Do you have one of those magnetic scrubbers? Like the one tht stay on the tank try scrubbing it for a good amount of time. Also do a 50-65% water change and try your LFS for any hair algae bloom treatments :) also idk how long ur light stays on but turn it off more then have it on, I have seen cases where all kinds of algae is formed from too much sunlight

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What type of lighting? How long do you keep the lights on?

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
I have an aqueon 17 watt 24" bar light that came standard with the tank (getting a high output trlumen in a month or so) and I usually keep the lights on more or less from 7am-10pm.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Your lighting is on way too long. If there are live plants, 8-10 hours max. If no live plants, you really only need them on when you're around to view the tank.

An automatic timer is your friend. For 5 bucks at Walmart or a home improvement store, you can set exactly when they turn on/off.

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
Ive been looking for a timer for about a year now, given I haven't been looking incredibly hard, but I want one that has about 5 plugs, as my 20L and 10 share the same outlet. I will try to shorten the time.

edchoy

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
I just use those cheapie timers. Yes I also think you are getting too much lights. Also if you are getting a sudden bloom look for other parameters that may have change, i.e. test water chem, pH swings etc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store