Advice for the future.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
All right. So far since getting into the hobby last summer, I've kept only small tanks. And yes, they're great fun and all but stocking is so limited and I would love nothing more than to get a bigger tank.

The problem is I'm a college student-- every 2-4 months I have to move my tanks between home and campus for break and all. It takes 4 or 5 hours each time, and while this isn't that big of an ordeal for my 10G and 5.5G, I fear it would be a far greater task to move anything much bigger. So...I'm just going to go ahead and start asking questions. Sorry for the hastiness of this, I'm writing in between classes right now.

Ideally, I'd either have a 30B, 40B or 55G and start out with 2 or 3 N brichardi. I'd get the tank near the beginning of the summer to start cycling it an probably wouldn't actually get the fish until I'm back at college in August. My first question is what would be the best way to cycle it? So far I've only done fishy cycling with hardy fish in small tanks, but I don't know how different it is for bigger tanks. Also, how would I go about moving the tank whilst keeping the beneficial bacteria alive? Also, just a few more general questions-- how many rocks would you use for a 55 gallon cichlid and how much would they weigh (my dad just got a 100G that came with a bunch of slate that he's not using but I know nothing about it), and would I be able to put the stand directly on top of my desk/dresser or would it be advisable to get a wooden or metal stand?

Perhaps the most important question, though, is should I do this? Would it stress the fish out too much getting moved so often and should I wait? I really would like to start keeping bigger tanks soon, and if I can't do it on campus I probably won't be able to until I graduate in 2018 or later. Any insight on the topic is greatly appreciated!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
:welcome:

As far as moving:

-seeded media/sand kept wet with tanker water will preserve bb
-40g/55g is much harder to move that 30g or lower

As far as the stand you can build your own or buy one. It's usually cheaper to make one if you have access to the tools. I made a 100g stand for about $90, a 55g for $70, and a 40g stand for around $65. They're all pretty decent.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
When I was in undergrad, I only moved my tanks for summer break. Granted, our in-between semesters/holiday break was only ~3 weeks, but the fish always managed without me there.

That being said, the largest I ever moved was a 20 long. One year, all I did was transfer fish to the 30 gallon I had at my parents house because I was moving back into the same house the next school year. Saved having to move the tank, at least.

I can't imagine dealing with moving anything larger that often. The last thing I wanted to do at the end of the semester is think about moving fish...;)

But as rufioman mentioned, you can use pre-existing media to seed a tank. Additionally, look up the "fish less cycling" method for info on how to start from scratch.

For larger tanks, you definitely want its own stand intended for aquarium use.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
Yeah, that's not possible for me-- my winter break is 5 weeks and they shut the electricity off, I think. :(

I read up on fishless cycling again. I had read it before but for some reason didn't understand it then, but now it seems so simple! I'll definitely be transferring some media from my three smaller tanks in the form of sponges and plants, so maybe that will help with most of the work.

I would like to get a 30G or 30B rather than the bigger tanks, but I've still heard mixed things about N. Brichardi. Do you have any idea off the top of your head how many of them (starting with a pair and after breeding) I'd be able to keep in 30 gallons of water before starting to remove them? Thanks!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Run a couple sponge-bubbler filters to get them nice and seeded. When you move, keep them bubbling in buckets/totes with battery operated aquarium air pumps.

I have to commend you for your aquaria efforts when it college. I was way to involved in my studies... (yeah right)

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I've never personally kept N. brichardi/puchler in my own tanks. My understanding is that they're colonial, to a point. They'll raise the fry, and coexist given enough space, but once everyone reaches breeding age/size you'll probably want to remove them as they're rather aggressive when spawning...with only 30 gallons worth of space, that time span is probably shorter, but I can't give an exact number.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
All right. I was planning on removing the larger ones as the younger grew big and either finding local hobbyists that would take them or seeing if my LFS would take them. If it weren't for the moving I'd be more interested in a 55 or even a 75 for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store