Finicky Feeding Festivum - Need Advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SalsTank

Registered Member
Jan 24, 2015
Real Name
Sallie
Two weeks ago I was sold what I thought was a "Mated pair" of Festivum. First, I am not convinced they are a pair because the store clerk chased them all over the tank, separating all the pairs... Secondly, they do not hang out with one another as a mated pair is supposed to.

The one who we think is the male (slightly larger and with longer fins) was injured when he was caught (we did not know this until we got him home). His external injuries (spit caudal fin and was not using one pectoral fin) have since healed as best we can tell. He spent several days with clamped fins, hiding, and refusing to eat. The other one was active and feeding within hours after introduction to my community tank. I asked my LFS, where he was purchased, and they suggested I put him in a breeders net so he could eat without competition, but that only stressed him more. I have since lured him into eating by feeding him frozen and/or freeze dried blood worms (often with tweezers one at a time). When the other fish feed he just hangs back and watches. He is a definite hunter, however, because he ate one of my platy fry (too big for the other fish to eat) who was swimming above him at the time. He spends hours hovering below some Hornwart waiting and watching for prey and although he allows Platys, Tetras, and Rainbows to swim around his hunting ground and dart in to steal his food, he runs the other Festivum (supposedly his mate) away. My problem is he will eat nothing but the bloodworms and if I do not distract the other fish and feed him slowly he misses feeding...every time! It seems he has to eat very slowly. If he eats a couple of bloodworms quickly, he usually has to spit them out and try again, often by that time another fish sees it and swoops in to steal it.

Does anyone out there have any idea how I can get him to eat something other than bloodworms and not have to hand feed one at a time? So far I have tried New Life Spectrum Pellets, Omega One Tropical Flakes, Omega One Chiclid Flakes, Frozen Brine Shrimp. He just looks at all of these and turns away. He tried a frozen brine shrimp and spit it right out!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Has his behavior changed at all, in the two weeks he's been in the tank? From what you describe, he/she is eating and will should get enough as is- or learn on his/her own to do so over time. I'd just keep your nitrates nice and low with your weekly water changes and go with it.

SalsTank

Registered Member
Jan 24, 2015
Real Name
Sallie
Thanks. I have a 60 gallon planted community tank. I do water changes weekly using RO water and add the missing minerals. Nitrate levels are in check.
His behavior has improved. He is not as skittish and he is more terretorial than when he first arrived. I swear he knows now that I am going to hand feed him! I have never seen such a finicky fish when it comes to food! I will be happy if and when he decides to eat more than frozen bloodworms and puts on a little more weight. Can a healthy fish starve to death due to food preference?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have never seen such a finicky fish when it comes to food! I will be happy if and when he decides to eat more than frozen bloodworms and puts on a little more weight. Can a healthy fish starve to death due to food preference?
Fish can and may starve to death, but it will take months. Looks like he is getting better. Me personally, have never seen any SA Cichlid pass up black worms.

SalsTank

Registered Member
Jan 24, 2015
Real Name
Sallie
My Festivum continues to improve and even though he still will only eat bloodworms, he is eating better. We have a ritual now and he is pampered with hand feedings twice daily. I am convinced now that this "mated pair" is anything but and I am saddened to think that both lost their life mates with this purchase. I don't suppose anyone has a suggestion? I have read that it is almost impossible to tell male from female.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
x2 on black worms

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store