20L Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aligatocodile

Registered Member
Mar 2, 2015
It's been a while since I've had a tank, so I dusted off my old 20L and now I'm planning what to stock in it. I've decided to do a planted tank with one bolivian ram and one honey gourami, but I'm not sure what/how many types of schooling fish I should put with them. If possible I'd like to have two kinds of schooling fish, but if the size restraints limit me to one then that's what I'll have to do. Also, since I've never done a planted tank before, I'm not sure how that changes, if at all, the kind or amount of cleaning buddies I need to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
ok first, if you know you want live plants then we need to gear your tank to that, what kind of lights do you plan to use? what about substrate? will you add ferts? for a "cleaning crew" i would say ottos, they stay small and a light bio load, and look awesome, as for schooling fish i prefer less types for bigger numbers, you might consider prestila tetras, or espie rasboras " sorry for spelling" if you wish to have more than one type of schooling fish then try to use levels, a 20 long that will be hard, but you could do a tetra, or rasbora, with danios, or corys for the bottom.
BG

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
lighting depends on which plants you plan to keep.

low light plants don't require any special lights as long as you have a 'daylight' bulb..nor do they require CO2 injection or any special fertilizers or special substrate , I use PFS(pool filter sand)
this a this is a 20 long???

oto's are fine but my 20 longs have either apisto's or rams(usually pairs) I may throw a neon or cardinal in there but they are fine with just the cichlids(especially true for breeding pairs)
my tanks have crypts, anubias, java ferns, moneywort, vals etc.. I do use leds or T-5 NO on the 6500 color range but I have some with stock t-8 daylights that grow the same plants just slower.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store