Invert algae eater for my tank???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ewest

AC Members
Jan 16, 2015
College in Flint MI, Home in Jackson MI
Real Name
Evan
So i am looking to get an invertebrate clean up crew for my 20 gallon long, i would like something that eats algae and possible leftover food scraps. My current stock is as follows.
12x cardinal tetras
2x Bolivian rams (paired)
1x pearl gourami

Are there any compatible inverts?

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Nerite snails are amazing against algae. I've never seen them go after leftover fish food, but mystery snails will. Both are very interesting and come in a variety of patterns and colors. Nerites dont generally breed in freshwater and mystery snails lay their eggs above the water surface so they are easy to remove if you dont want them breeding.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I second nerites...probably the best option given your stock (dwarf shrimp might get picked off) and overall algae-eating efficiency. Although, keep in mind there are types of algae that the nerites aren't likely to touch or make much of a dent in. But as vwill said, the other nice thing with nerites is that there's about zero chance they'll ever become a population problem.

Adult amano shrimp might be large enough to avoid the rams/gourami, but I can't say that for sure as I've never tried the mix. They would do better at picking up leftover scraps and can do a decent job on some of the hairier algae. They too aren't going to breed in the typical aquarium setting.

Also, just to be that guy, remember that a "clean up crew" isn't a substitution for proper maintenance ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store