Bolivian Ram couple trouble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ewest

AC Members
Jan 16, 2015
College in Flint MI, Home in Jackson MI
Real Name
Evan
So i have a yong pair of Bolivians (1 male 1 female) and for the last 3 weeks or so since they were put in the tank they have been stuck to each others sides so i assumed they had pared up but today when i got up they were flaring at each other and locked jaws for a brief moment , they aren't constantly going at each other but when they see each other they flare up and display aggression:argue:. What should i do? Will they pair back up?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
hard to say.. they could be pushing for territory.
pairs will liplock and some may break apart..
Rams in general are actually more likely to act like a loose shoal when you get enough of them.

I've seen the behavior with both species. I currently have quite a few bolivian rams..and when young they will form loose shoals/schools.. they will establish a pecking order when you get a bunch of them but they tend to not be super aggressive.

this last year was the first year I have been able to get successful spawns and I must say it is interesting to watch the progression from fry to young fish.

if you continue to see this aggression with yours you may either split them up for a time and reintroduce them later or add another ram or 2 to the mix, depending on tank size and set up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store