29g Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GusBus

Soup
Feb 16, 2009
In illinois
I recently returned from deployment and returned to see that I only had 2 Black Skirt Tetras and 1 Of what I believe is a Golden Tetra. I'm looking into re-stocking my 29g and would like some suggestions. Preferably low maintenance fish as I will be leaving the tank in the hands of my parents and all they really know is weekly water changes and the occasional tank cleaning. Please help me out as I've been out of the aquarium game for 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
:welcome: back! Grats for your service, sir!

I would up the skirts, add a centerpiece, and go with some cool bottom dwellers like sterbai corys, panda corys, or kuhli loaches. Maybe add a super cool dwarf pleco! Weekly water changes of 25-30% are still the norm, with regular maintenance like filter gunk cleaning every month. I clean my filter intake tubing and outlet each week because I'm OCD, but I only wring out the filter media in drained tank water every two weeks.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Are you planning on keeping the tetras or starting from scratch? Neither require much maintenance, so as rufio mentioned I would start with maybe picking one of the two and upping the school to at least 6, if possible.

Corys or kuhli loaches are a good suggestion for the bottom.

For a centerpiece you could go with a small group of honey gouramis (or a dwarf, but I'm not a huge fan), or maybe a pair of bolivian rams.

GusBus

Soup
Feb 16, 2009
In illinois
Thanks for the reply guys I went with the suggestions and upped my Black Skirts to five and I bought 5 Panda Corys now all I have left to do is choose a centerpiece

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
If you can find them, a single or pair of keyholes cichlids would do nicely in there. I have a solo keyhole in a 20 long, and he's one of my all-time favorite cichlids (and I've been keeping cichlids for 35 years)...bigger than a bolivian ram yet peaceful.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
A single pearl gourami is an awesome center piece fish for a 29g IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store