Vinegar to reduce water Ph

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SherLar

AC Members
Feb 26, 2015
Midwest United States
Real Name
Sherri & Larry
My wife, ever the chemist, says that vinegar will reduce aquarium Ph safely. Does anyone have any input about this? I've always used a commercial Ph reducer, but any time I can do something naturally as opposed to chemically, I'm all for it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you over-do, it could make for some tasty fish-n-chips.

SherLar

AC Members
Feb 26, 2015
Midwest United States
Real Name
Sherri & Larry
It's acetic acid, so technically it would work, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily natural...for what reason do you want to change pH?
We live on an acreage, and so have well-water. It comes from an aquifer which runs through bedrock about 300' underground. The good news is, we'll never run out of water, and the water is naturally chemical free. The bad news: it has a standard Ph of about 7.6-7.8, so I like to reduce it to about 7.2 when I do partial water changes in my aquariums and indoor pond.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Your well water pH swings from a 7.6 to 7.8? That in itself wouldn't be good, but if the pH holds at either, I don't see how that would be a problem unless it's a specific fish, or breeding project you're after.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
:iagree:

usually better to have stable pH.. unless you have fish with a specific pH requirement

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My husband is a chemist (for 30+ years), the worst newbie fish keeping mistakes (all those years ago) we made was trying to get pH "just exactly right" for each species. "How many decimal points you want to go?" into dead, or at least, unhappy fish. Don't do it, as Ed said, stable is best. A TDS meter is better than chasing a "magic pH"! A stable 7.6 or 7.8 is much better than a rollercoaster pH ride however "perfect" it might be for wild fish at any given season (or day of the week!).. Please learn from our mistakes those many years ago, most fish are not wild caught these days but even so, probably more adaptable than vinegar can fix, long term at least, no fish likes a yoyo effect. Slow acclimation has been far more beneficial long term for us.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
This has been a learning experience for me. One of my tanks for some reason stays high at 7.6. Coming out of the tap the city water is just about 7. I have a piece of Mopani wood in there, yet it stays up there at 7.6. The good news is that the fish that are in that tank seem ok with it. I would not chance adding vinegar. I am not experienced enough to suggest the chemical additive called ph down. I would like to hear from others who have used it. Most everything I have read says to keep chemicals out of your tank as much as possible.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Do you test your tap right away or let it sit first? Dissolved CO2 may be reducing the pH in your tap. With time it off-gasses and then you get a "true" pH at atmospheric equilibrium, which may be closer to what you see in your tank.

As many have already suggested, I'd just stop worrying about your pH altogether right now. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store