Walmart big mistake but I saved a fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
So I was in walmart again just had to see the tank conditions and sure enough it was terrible but what I found most interesting is in the Betta section they had a small tiger oscar in a small plastic Betta bin tht they are usally sold in, I was pissed off now and after telling them my 2 sense and put them in my spot they surprisingly gave me the fish for free:) so in the end I got a free tiger oscar, he is in a QT then into a 45 gallon I would put him in a 55 but he is just still too small. One prob I have is tht he is not eating though how can I solve this?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'd keep pristine water parameters and observe the little guy for any conditions that could crop up if he/she makes it. Feed him quality pellet food and supplement with freeze dried krill, romaine lettuce, etc. Are you are up to the task of oscar keeping? As you probably know, a single O in a 55g is at or beyond the limit and will probably require more than one fin-level water change per week once the fish is full sized to keep nitrates <20ppm.

FWIW, I have an O and a Severum in my 75g. That's pushing the limits.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
They are fun fish for sure. If you want others in with them, a 6ft tank is much better option (120g or larger). In regards to 4ft tanks, I wouldn't bother with larger than a 75g. 75/90/110's are all the same 4ft footprint with different heights.

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Not long, that's for sure. He's not out of the woods yet though. The stress from shipping and how he was kept is very hard on any young fish.

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Yes very true I was surprised tht he made it through all of this I just don't understand why bigname company's are carrying live animals and not even hiring a good caretaker for the fish

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I hear you, but even your average LFS is marginal at fish keeping. They're in the game to display and sell them. It's up to us to swoop in and save them! lol.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
in nutshell, they don't plan on keeping the fish longer than needed to sell them.(as freshy mentions)
they are all about turn over..as are most LFS.
even your breeders are prone to this , I've seen it with Discus and angel breeders. but keep in mind they are also carrying stock that demands a higher price and do more frequent water changes,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store