Oascar housing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
I'm very intrigued with oascars, as many other hobbyists are. but what is the minimal tank size that 1 or 2 can be housed in ->HAPPILY<-? also, are there any resilient species (ex. plecos) that can be housed with them?
thanks!

b

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Oscars? Most will say a 55 is minimum for one full grown....I've seen pairs in a 75 and a 90 lead healthy lives. The more volume the better, they don't need a lot of cruising area, but a six foot tank with a trio or four is awesome.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Oscars are fun, but a 55 is the bare minimum for a single oscar and nothing else. Even with this, you may have to do more than one fin-level water change per week to keep nitrates low. Bumping a little bit up to a 75, I still wouldn't do an O and a Pleco. Here's a pic of my O and Sev in my 75g. I've had them a little over a year. The O is about 7" and the Severum ~5". Severum are tough and feisty enough to deal with an O.

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
I have been thinking about a tank with an oascar, 1-2 pacu, and a channel/blue cat. what size tank would I need? also, I have a four stripe pictus that is turning predatory on my smaller fish, could I keep him with an oascar?

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
haha, I should have remembered that. my bad. I've been fishing and caught 3 1/2 foot ones. guess I just got caught up in the pictures I saw

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Saved one from walmart, good fish but definitely will need a big tank as they can grow an inch or more a month.. I would listen to what freshyfresh has to say he guided me with help with my oscar :)

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
I read that thread, cool how you got It free! yeah, one of my friends keeps koi and has a 220 stocked with 8 oascars. He feeds them anything that he declares safe, including left-over washed steak. Those fish eat better than I do...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Chances of 8 oscars living long term together in a 220 is slim to none.

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Yeah 8 oscars would have just enough room in 400-500 gallon, I have mine for a week or two now and I love him bit he's a eating machine lol I threw 5 fish pellets in my tank and he got em all before they could hit the gravel, on top of tht they are beautiful and so entertaining to watch:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store