Help! Female Guppies are dying!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

danmcap

Registered Member
Apr 22, 2004
Visit site
Have a 29 Gallon (roughly 100 Liter for non Americans) tank, established several months, all was fine. Even moved it out and back about a month ago to avoid extermintors, and everything was fine until about a week ago. Now 4 of my nine adult females have died and a fifth has taken sick. First they act a little logy, then they lose their equilibrium (head down, tail up). Then they go downhill over 1-2 days and die. So far the 7 males are all fine, as are the numerous juvies and fry. One might have been age, but the most recent death was one that was born in my tank 6 months ago. Did the standard 3 tests, and the ammonia level was about 0.25 (as opposed to the ideal zero), but well below the 4-6 that books say is a problem. The remaining 4 adult ladies seem fine, and at least one is expecting. The youngest matures that I moved into another tank when we got back from the move are all fine as well.

Finally, doubt it has anything direct to do with the extermintors - the gas they use goes away fast - they didn't think my pregnant wife or 4 year old coming back that same evening was a problem.

Help, I'm losing my pretty fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store