Inexpensive Refugium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
I'm looking to make a refugium setup to replace my sump setup for a 40b. my question is, how do you make a setup with plants, shrimp while having space to put injured fish. right now I have a 10g but I want to get a bit bigger. is this thread isn't ignored I will post the dimensions of the space available. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
You shouldn't use a refugium as a QT tank. A quarantine means that the fish are completely isolated from the main tank, so it would defeat the purpose.

Additionally, meds may not be easy on either plants or shrimp and having all of that makes keeping it clean a bit harder, which is necessary when treating.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
:iagree:

you should use a hosp QT separate from the main tank. if you use the refugium for injuries you may need to medicate. resulting in using much more medication as you would need to medicate for the volume of water. also subjecting the other fish to the medication when it isn't needed.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
If the injury is anything more significant that a slightly nipped fin, you want to put the fish in QT. A separate 10 gallon will be great for that.

If you wanted a small area for shrimp and plants - you could do a Hamburg Matten Filter(HMF) with the plants and shrimp on the small side. You would likely want more intense lighting for that part of the tank.

It gives you a lot less space, but the Marina HOB breeder boxes might be another option.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store