Dual Heaters in a 55 Gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

teniosa

AC Members
Apr 15, 2014
Search isn't working for me or I'd read more threads before posting...

I have a 55 gallon freshwater community tank. I usually run it right around 78*/79*. Last night my tank was 90* when i got home from work!!! I turned the heater down a couple degrees and it is back to normal this morning but now i'm quite certain i want to replace it. I'm anxiously waiting to see if anyone is unwell after the heat spike :/ I've got 25+ baby bristlenoses in there. I'd be heartbroken over if they died.

I saw a few threads/posts about heaters that mentioned using dual heaters. One post in particular mentioned that it is safer if the heater malfunctions and I was thinking it might be more efficient to have one at either end than all the heat at one end anyways. So I'm considering going with two to replace the one that decided to spike to 90*F last night for no reason. Is dual heaters basically the way to go?

I also saw a few threads about using external controllers. So that is another idea that is on my radar. My budget isn't indefinite, so chances are I will either go with 2 better/more expensive heaters, or 2 less expensive heaters with a controller. Thoughts? Recommendations on controllers? I haven't found any posts about using them, preferences, etc.

Thanks!

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
I prefer 2 heaters. Each heater is one half the required wattage. Need 200 w? Get two 100s. The theory is if one should fail open the other will at least keep the tank warm. If it fails closed it can't overheat the tank. I like jeagars myself.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Definitely wise to run two lower wattage heaters over one higher wattage. Either that or run one higher watt unit plugged into a temperature controller.

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
I opted for a temperature controller along with a properly sized heater for my recent tank. I thought about doing both and splitting 2 smaller heaters on the controller, but I wasn't sure how well the controller would handle that over long term.

teniosa

AC Members
Apr 15, 2014
thanks all! I'm going to go with 2 better heaters and skip the controller. I appreciate the input.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
thanks all! I'm going to go with 2 better heaters and skip the controller. I appreciate the input.
To me, you've got 3 plans in regards to heater. Good, better and best.

Good = A quality heater, sized to the low end, such that if if sticks on, you have less chance of major overheat.

Better = Two quality heaters, each at about half or slightly more the recommended wattage for the water volume.

Best = Heater plugged into a temperature controlled switch.

You're in the 'better' category!

teniosa

AC Members
Apr 15, 2014
Can I do two heaters with a controller? Or two controllers? I think two is definitely better for even heating in my tank. Especially since it sometimes has a rather big spread between room and tank temp.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You could do a controller for each heater if you wanted to. I'm not sure I'd keep two plugged into one controller.

teniosa

AC Members
Apr 15, 2014
So looking at controller it looks like I'm looking at $100-300 or even more. Is that impression correct? It seems like they do a lot more than just temp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store