CPO Crayfish habitat needs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SageBear

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Hi everyone!

I'm looking at getting some CPOs soon, the LFS has some that haven't moved so they are at a deep discount :D

My question.. I want to have fun with them and their tank, cave, hideaways etc, with some parts sticking out of the water (far from the edge so they don't go exploring) and I was wondering how deep the water would need to be?

For what I'm thinking, a large footprint is ideal, and I can't find a tank that fits the bill. So I'm looking at alternative tank ideas. I actually think one of those hinged plastic scrap-booking supply containers would be perfect (after modifications) but I'm concerned it's too shallow (water would only be 1.5-2" deep). Ideally it would be another 6 inches deep to my thinking.

What are their requirements? Does anyone have experience keeping them in shallower tanks?

PS: aren't they awesome?! I can't believe I've only just discovered them!

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I had mine in a 20 long. I just made levels with rocks and stuff they could climb. Lots of Caves are a must so they have somewhere to hide while they molt. Males can be very aggressive towards each other. My dominant male ended up killing the other male and one of his females in the tank. 2" will definitely not be deep enough water. They are fully aquatic and dont come out of the water except in extreme cases. Live plants and other cover are good and if you plan on any babies surviving, they should be removed from the tank. If you had a larger tank like a 30L or a 40B, you might be able to have some babies survive without removing them. They will for the most part leave fish and shimp alone, but if not fed enough, they will eat anything they can catch, including live fish. Sick or dying fish and small fish that sleep on the bottom are most vulnerable. Crayfish need a heater and a filter as well, so something as small as you were describing would not work.

SageBear

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Awesome, thanks for the feedback! I've been thinking about it, and I agree that 2" will not work.

The reading I've done suggests that CPOs don't need a heater? I was considering one anyway to avoid fluctuations (keeping it set at roughly 66 - we get cold up here during the winter), and I'm going to be using a sponge filter. Have you kept them? What temperature do you keep yours at? I read that they can be kept in a range of temperatures, but that warmer water will speed up metabolism and lead to shorter lifespans?

We're going to try to find something with a similar footprint, but 6-8" deep. That way there's enough water for them to explore vertically as well as horizontally in their little world. I know they can be agressive, I'm hoping to minimize issues by having a ton of hides and caves and breaking the line of sight as much as possible. I'm hoping that by allowing enough room for them to stake out territories and hide when they're molting, they won't kill each other off. Fingers crossed. Anyone else with suggestions or feedback? Pretty please?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store