What About Vacations?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Is it ok to go away for a week and leave the fish without food? I have heard that those so called "weekend feeders" are not good and make the water cloudy. I know it will be ok to leave my betta for that long, but what about a community tank? Is there such a thing as an auto feeder?
Thanks for your help.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What's the mix/size of the tank? There are auto feeders.. good and bad reviews...in general, I say fast them for a week.

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
there are auto feeders, but they can be touchy to get working right.
i have used them and like them. but i wouldn't get one in a hurry for a vacation. i'd get one when i'm around to tweak it for a while until i can trust it.

main issue i had is the drum type ones dump erratic amounts, the rotary types don't do that, but they have limited capacity.

but rbishop is right, a week shouldn't hurt.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you are not home to supervise the tank and perform weekly water changes, you're better off not feeding them or having someone feed the tank out of pre-portioned containers that you set up, every few days.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I've gone 2-3 weeks without food or water changes. Most fish aren't all that picky, to be honest.

Just stop feeding maybe a day or so ahead of time and do a large water change as close as you can before leaving.

Auto-feeders are a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I am mostly worried about my very small galaxy rasboras , aka celestial pearl danios. They are so small, not even an inch, and I wonder how long they can go without food. Do you know if they will eat algae? I really don't have anyone that I trust to come and feed them.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Your CPDs would be fine for 2 weeks or so I'd think.

I've got 8 CPDs in my planted 10g shrimp tank. I never see them. They stay in the java fern forest, low in the tank and only dart out to grab food.

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
I am mostly worried about my very small galaxy rasboras , aka celestial pearl danios. They are so small, not even an inch, and I wonder how long they can go without food. Do you know if they will eat algae? I really don't have anyone that I trust to come and feed them.
I think they'd be fine, based on my experience

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Feed them well for about a week before leaving, do a large WC, and lower temp by few degrees (assuming that you are in the mid to high 70s). They will be just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store